Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes when im at WOT or 3/4 the way to WOT, the charging system light on the dashboard comes on. my voltmeter indicates proper voltage and the car doesn't do anything strange. What do you guys think? Loose ground / connector?

its really annoying. I might just pull the bulb out since i don't need the light anyways.

·
Registered
584 Posts
G_Loc said:
sometimes when im at WOT or 3/4 the way to WOT, the charging system light on the dashboard comes on. my voltmeter indicates proper voltage and the car doesn't do anything strange. What do you guys think? Loose ground / connector?

its really annoying. I might just pull the bulb out since i don't need the light anyways.
Dont remove the light, its obviously there to tell you something isnt right with the charging system. Its possible that there is a loose ground, but Id check the connection(s) at the alternator first (with the battery disconnected, of course). Another thing that could cause that is a slipping alternator belt. It could be that when its turning at a low speed, it doesnt slip, but as the engine (and of course, the belt) speeds up, it starts to slip. If that belt has been on the car for a signifigant amount of time, or has never been changed, you might want to just change it and see if the problem goes away. Failing that, take the alternator out and take it to an auto parts that has an alternator testing machine. It should either be very cheap or free to have them run the test.

·
Registered
245 Posts
it is probuly the diode pack..when it fails you'll see the light come on.i know when i have had problems with my alt's diode it would come on in certion conditions and turn off in other conditions.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never thought about checking the belt since it never squeals or anything. Good idea... If all else fails, I'll load up the alternator on the motorcycle and drive to autozone for a free test :p

thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts