Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to do it before I go to the track,also will be changing my oil but I jacked my car up today and was looking at the filler bolt
(I have 5 speed) and how on earth are you supposed to fill it up when its going sideways????? There are 2 holes right, one for draining and one for filling. Do I need some kind of pump??? I will be using the Honda MTF and don't want the dealerships to charge me $40 to do it.

G

·
Get a funnel with a long hose on it. Snake the hose down between the intake and head, down to the fill bolt. Make sure the car is level, and fill the tranny through the fill bolt until fluid runs out. Then reinstall the fill bolt, and you are good to go.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
Make sure the car is level, this is critical.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks 71DSP!!
So since I'll be doing it at home I would have to have the car up on 4 jackstands right???
BTW our cars use 2.3L of MTF or is it more, cause I bought 3 bottles which are all 1L each.
Yes I know I should buy the Helms manual but to torque back the filler bolt is like 30lb ft right???
Thanks

G

·
Yeah, buy the manual. I don't know the torque specs off hand, but 30 lb*ft is close. Also use new sealing washers.

I don't the exact capacity, but it's close to 2 liters. Good thing you bought 3, that will definitely be enough.

For the record, I would recommend Honda MTF over Redline.

Don't ever get under a car without jackstands. I would hate to hear that you crushed something (like your head) under a car.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to order the Helm manual, cant remember the price, think its like $50 US.

Don't worry I have jackstands!!!!!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
well i used redline and it felt fine. i like it. i think it is 2 quarts isnt it. make sure u use full bottles this way u know exactly how much is in there. if it does not fill to the correct amount keep trying. the honda mtf oil is thin as hell and is like water.

------------------

aLwAyS lOoKiNg To Go FaStEr
2000 Crystal Blue Base Prelude
OEM Body kit
AEM CAI
EIBACH PROKIT
Dc Front Upper Strut Tower Bar
Dc Rear Lower Strut Tower Bar
Mobil One Synthetic 5w-30
AUDIO:Alpine 7965 CD deck,Mtx Thunder 304 @ 375 Watts, Mtx Thunder 302 @ 400 Watts Powering A 12 Inch Mtx 8000, and Alpine 12 Disc Cd Changer

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BoYgUaN:
well i used redline and it felt fine. i like it. i think it is 2 quarts isnt it. make sure u use full bottles this way u know exactly how much is in there. if it does not fill to the correct amount keep trying. the honda mtf oil is thin as hell and is like water.
</font>
I think you have that backwards. Have you seen brand new Honda MTL? The Redline is much thinner. After running 20k miles worth of Redline through my tranny, I would have to disagree. I grinded the 1 - 2 shift much more with Redline (granted 90% of the problem with grinding is usually the driver).

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I would stick with with Honda Manual Transmission fluid.

Synchros will last longer.

You can also pump the fluid, using a hose, from below the car if its up on a lift.

Either way if its level, its full once it fills all the way to the top and starts to overflow.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeeTec:
I would stick with with Honda Manual Transmission fluid.

Synchros will last longer.

You can also pump the fluid, using a hose, from below the car if its up on a lift.

Either way if its level, its full once it fills all the way to the top and starts to overflow.
</font>
what kinda pump are we talking about here?

------------------
David [email protected]

ICQ UIN: 4310950
AOL SN: Poena97

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Just a cheap plastic hand pump. Stick one end of the hose down into the quart, run the other end over the top of the tranny case into the fill hole, then pump until its full.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you have an air compressor you can get the fluid in the tranny in about 10 secs. All you gotta do is drill 2 holes in the cap and put some clear tubing in to the holes. One goes all the way to the bottom of the can and the other one sticks out of the top of the cap a good ways. Then regulate the air pressure down to about 20 psi and stick the nozzle into the tube that is near the bottom. Works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts