Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this weekend i changed my warped front rotors for new stock ones...there are 2 philips screws that hold the rotor to the hub, unfortunately i stripped them cuz they are pretty well seized and had to drill 2/4 out. Anyway, the question is, do i still need the 2 rotor screws or are the 5 wheel bolts good enough?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Well most domestic cars do not have these two screws that hold the rotor in place because it is already held in there by your wheel and secured with your lug nuts. But I guess that Honda put those screws in there for a reason, so I would replace it. Anyone else want to step in on this one???

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:
this weekend i changed my warped front rotors for new stock ones...there are 2 philips screws that hold the rotor to the hub, unfortunately i stripped them cuz they are pretty well seized and had to drill 2/4 out. Anyway, the question is, do i still need the 2 rotor screws or are the 5 wheel bolts good enough?</font>
Did you not realize that you are supposed to remove those with an impact screw driver? You have almost no chance of getting them out with a regular screw driver. I would get a screw removal kit, remove the two screws, then replace them.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
193 Posts
You should replace them. You could get a chisel and start taping them in the direction to start them to come out or get an easy out drill the middle out of the screw and take them out that way. I have found that after drilling it out the screw (bolt in my case) came out with out the easy out cause the side force of the bolt was removed.

Good luck.

Tom

------------------
93 Si 4WS

·
Registered
104 Posts
none of that stuff works. i just got my rotors shaved last weekend and i went through three impactscrew driver bits. finally, i took it to my mechanic and he just drilled them out and told me i didn't really need them. although my brakes still squeal like crazy.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by br2819:
none of that stuff works. i just got my rotors shaved last weekend and i went through three impactscrew driver bits. finally, i took it to my mechanic and he just drilled them out and told me i didn't really need them. although my brakes still squeal like crazy.</font>
i dont think that will cause the squealing...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest, those 2 flathead philips screws were about 1/2 inch each for the sheer purpose of holding the rotor on when the wheel is removed. Most cars only have 1 screw if they have one at all...but i'll prolly replace them anyway. I got 2/4 out with just the screwdriver and i don't have anything fancy like an impact one. thx for all the advice...

[This message has been edited by smoothludey (edited April 15, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
Impact screw driver basically is a screwdriver that you take a hammer to, and when you hit it on the base, it will turn the end of it also. THat way, you can get more pressure on the screw than you ever will by pushing, and it's most of a time a good way to break a stuck screw w/o stripping it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts