Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Looking for a little guidance. I own a 2000 SH. I just installed an Injen Intake and a Greddy Evo2 Catback Exhaust. Check engine and ATTS light came on at the same time shortly after. NO idea why the ATTS would trigger. The codes were for the EGR valve (insufficient return) and O2 sensor Low voltage (bank 1 sensor 2). I do not want to take this to Honda and get bent over but i do not want this CEL remapping my A/F ratios either.

Has anyone had this happen?
Should I change out Sensor 2?
Why would ATTS come on at the same time?

Any input is appreciated. I'd like to get this fixed. Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
The ATTS comes on automatically when either of these codes are thrown. My Honda dealer forgot to reconnect my EGR connection wire after changing my valve cover gasket, this was an easy fix after getting a bank-1 sensor-2 circuit malfunction. Also sounds like your O2 sensor is bad. Do you use the super unleaded gas? If not you will foul the O2 sensors regularly. I pulled both of my sensors and clened them with carburetor cleaner and a brush ( they had black soot on them) and I only use super unleaded gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ATTS comes on automatically when either of these codes are thrown. My Honda dealer forgot to reconnect my EGR connection wire after changing my valve cover gasket, this was an easy fix after getting a bank-1 sensor-2 circuit malfunction. Also sounds like your O2 sensor is bad. Do you use the super unleaded gas? If not you will foul the O2 sensors regularly. I pulled both of my sensors and clened them with carburetor cleaner and a brush ( they had black soot on them) and I only use super unleaded gas.
Where is the EGR connection wire? That would throw a sensor 2 code? How? I use premium gas. Usually 90 octane.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok i took out the EGR valve, cleaned it thouroughly, and placed it back. Ran great with no CEL for a couple hours. Now its back on. Dammit. Any input?

·
Registered
190 Posts
is ur cat good?

i had o2 sensor problems too.. i just got new ones.. denso ones arent that expensive.

and my check engine is gone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is ur cat good?

i had o2 sensor problems too.. i just got new ones.. denso ones arent that expensive.

and my check engine is gone.
Well, i was told the egr valve would cause a o2 sensor code to be thrown too. But prob not a bad o2. Guess ill have to pull the codes again and see if its still throwing the EGR, or just the o2 now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok now its throwing a P0401, EGR valave insuffecient return, and a PO420, Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1).

Last time they were pulled, it was a PO401 and PO137. 401 is consistent. Maybe i just need to go ahead and replace the EGR valve, since cleaning it did nothing. Anyone ever run into this after changing their exhaust? I put a greddy evo2 catback on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you need to remove the egr ports under the injectors on the intake manifold and clean the egr ports. you can get new plugs to replace them really cheap. your egr ports are just clogged. it will usuall set the others codes also. do this and reset the ecu and it should be ok. i know you clean the egr valve already, but you haven't clean the ports. thats the important part

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, i took the EGR Valve off, Seafoamed the two holes, and replaced the EGR Valve with a new one. Burnt out all the white smoke carbon deposits. No CEL as of yet. Usually back on by now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
not the egr valve. the "ports" are in the manifold. you have to drill and take the brass plugs out and clean out the ports. they get clogged up. that is the only way to clean them. take your mind off of the egr valve. the ports are right under the injectors if you are looking from the top of the engine down. they are brass. you will have to drill and use a small slide hammer to pull them out. then get a small screwdriver and unclogged the ports. stop messing with the egr valve. watse of time and money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
not the egr valve. the "ports" are in the manifold. you have to drill and take the brass plugs out and clean out the ports. they get clogged up. that is the only way to clean them. take your mind off of the egr valve. the ports are right under the injectors if you are looking from the top of the engine down. they are brass. you will have to drill and use a small slide hammer to pull them out. then get a small screwdriver and unclogged the ports. stop messing with the egr valve. watse of time and money.
Sea foaming the 2 holes sucked the sea foam into the "ports". Tons of carbon came out my exhaust. The CEL comes right back on after resetting my ECU. Now that i did this today, it hasnt came back after 30 miles driven. We'll see. Thanks though

·
Registered
31 Posts
that may of helped it some but the major of the problem will return in short time. some of the carbon build can get as thick as 2-3 mm. it's thick gunk. if you want a good result you gotta do it right, if you want a half a** result then do it halfway. its on you. just trying to help you not having to do it again in a few months. by cleaning the ports directly you are making sure all 4 ports are properly cleaned.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I pulled both of my sensors and clened them with carburetor cleaner and a brush ( they had black soot on them)

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you used carb cleaner on your O2 sensors???? That would be why they go bad! You realize that they are super sensitive to any kind of chemical let alone a strong one like carb cleaner, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts