Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my check engine light and i came up as the rgf? (i forget) insufficient flow. It is the thing that sits on top of intake manifold. The people at advance autoparts said to just replace that item. I later took it to my mechanic who has done all of my work and siad my intake is clogged with carbon. :confused: My car seems to be running very rich my exhaust being black and my entire back of my car is black. Any help in which route i should go or anything would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
i think you mean EGR. those are pretty easy to replace but before you do try to take it off and clean it out and then try to get the passages clean too. for the black smoke and running rich that shouldnt have too much effect on it you should get your o2 sensor checked if its lazy or not. (usually black smoke means you have a lazy o2

·
Registered
170 Posts
take your EGR valve off and clean it out w/ brake cleaner (make sure you manually move the diaphram on the valve while cleaning it to clean the dowel) and spray a bunch of brake cleaner in the EGR ports on the manifold and blow it out w/ compressed air. The EGR code could just be putting your engine in a safe mode where it will burn more gas. Good luck

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much for the help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i took my car to my local mechanic about my egr and he said that that carbon was built up so far in that i need a new intake manifold. My car is still running fine so i do not think i need a new intake manifold. My car is still having a dark exhaust and leaving black carbon deposits i guess on my bumper. Do i try to clean it myself, or just get a new intake manifold.

·
Registered
170 Posts
take off the egr valve.... spray brake cleaner down in both ports on the manifold.... take an air compressor tool and blow it out. Repeat 2 or 3 times..... Then install valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i had that same problem. my mechanic new it right away when he seen the code and it cost me $700.00 at my mechanic. came to find out my engine heads needed to be rebuilt (all of them). after that it was fine and the code did not come up no more. might need those checked out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts