Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have ALOT of carbon crap buildup in my exhaust and it shoots out the back ALOT.....so when i get an exhaust system i'm going to go ahead and replace the cat, but i'm staying with a stock one......
but they're expensive so i found this one and ones like it......
what do you guys think about them....
as long as it fits, doesnt restrict airflow, and passes emissions, its good with me....

http://www.catalyticonverters.com/HOPRELUDE48309295.html

Thanks,
Jonathan

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
IMHO, I would go for the hi-flow. I think the catsound is roughly $100 but requires the flanges welded. Random for $200 is a direct bolt on and neither are as restrictive as stock cats.

Since it says its a direct replacement for OEM, I would assume its quite restrictive in the same way as the stock one.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
get a random tech it looks like an OEM and theres no way for them to tell....stock cat is way too restrictive!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would these pass emmissions though?

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
The high-flow or the one you have linked? Hi-flow cats pass emissions in most states (not too sure abuot ridiculous places like Cali) and flow much better.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
if you want to clean up all that carbon buildup,get a can of carb cleaner and spray it inside your tb while the cars running,have someone sitting in the drivers seat and continually step on the gas pedal because the car will want to stall

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
^^you could try that first and see if you get anywhere with it. If not then I'd go with a high flow cat if your worried about restriction.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
yes they would pass emissions but IIRC the RT might be cutting it real close in Cali....

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
technically we all run rich,whats the mileage on your car?it just sounds like carbon buildup,that carb cleaner through the tb will clean it up

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
Random is good...the 2 most restrictive parts of our exhaust system is the collector and the catalytic convertor ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have 104000k miles on it, i'll try the carb cleaner......if i end up getting a new cat, as long as i pass emmisions i'll get a high flow cat

·
Registered
146 Posts
sup. i bought a random technologies one as well. i wasnt passing emissions at all with the stock so i bought it and i cut it close but i passed... you should be ok if u got one... plus it opens it up a lot. i bought mine off ebay... what a great place.
-nate

·
Registered
147 Posts
i got a test pipe on mine but my bro got a carsound it is passes emissions or says it will........got it for $95 shipped w/ the flanges welded on:bigthumb:

·
Registered
131 Posts
silverbullit2K1,
where did you find the random tech for $200. i'm also looking to buy a high-flow. and which one should i get (size). i have dc ss headers and a greddy evo exhaust.

·
Registered
411 Posts
is there no high flow cat for 5th gens?!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm happy i dont have to pass emissions!!! ugh! it would suck to take off my testpipe! :-D

·
Registered
584 Posts
jgcpn33 said:
well i have ALOT of carbon crap buildup in my exhaust and it shoots out the back ALOT.....so when i get an exhaust system i'm going to go ahead and replace the cat, but i'm staying with a stock one......

Thanks,
Jonathan
Is there something wrong with your cat? Is it catalyst matierial cracked or vibrating inside the shell? Is it plugged? If not, there's no need to replace it, unless you just want one that flows better than the stock unit. The carbon buildup in your exhaust is a byproduct of combustion, and a lot of it is due to the fact that our cars tend to run on the rich side. No sense spending money you dont need to... the back of my car is covered with black specks in the winter, Im not running out to put a high flow cat on my car so it will be possibly covered with *more* black soot. :) If you really want to do something about the soot, either install a VAFC or a Hondata, get some dyno time, and have them lean things out a bit, because carb cleaner isnt going to make it stop.

·
Registered
292 Posts
first off, there are cats for 5th gens.

second, Carsound is far superior to the Random cats. they have been tested, and the carsound cat is the least restrictive out of all the aftermarket cats. you can buy one from www.testpipes.com or www.testpipe.com whichever one it is, for $99 with the flanges welded on.

as for test pipes, they're not street legal, they sound horrible (my friend just got one on his 4th gen vtec, and it sounds ricey now. very raspy, he's taking it off and putting a cat back on. but they are of course the least restrictive...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts