Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
.: :.
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I am excited and wanted to share the news with you people...

I am starting to work on a CarPC for my 5g. Putting a touchscreen monitor in place of the radio + tray and most likely going to put aux screens in the visors (at least passenger) for movie viewing.

I came across this program for OBDII reading, which seems cool and promising:
http://www.obddiagnostics.com/ScrnShot/Winscreen.html

I am going to be making a custom enclosed box in the trunk and carpeting it to make it look stock-ish to put a MicroATX case in. And also to mount the 4ch amp that I will have the Audigy 2ZS connected to.

If anyone might be interested in making a CarPC (for GPS, music, movies, multimedia, etc...) and wants pictures of the whole process I am sure I could do so. :)

Woo-woot :D

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
I was building one for my car but ran out of funds. A laptop hard drive isn't 100% needed. A regular hard drive will work unless you hit a very hard bump.

I might start building them for people and selling them.

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
Well if people buy them off my website and live far away then obviously I can't. But for those taht buy it and can drive to me then I can make it OEM. The screen would be placed where ever the person wants but I would like to put it in the stock radio location, fiberglassed in. The cd player will be up front under the screen. The computer would be in the trunk.

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
There are two ways. One is to get a wireless card and drive around looking for a house with wireless :) THe best way is to buy a dish but that is more for SUVs.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I'm doing pretty much the same thing, using a motorized touchscreen LCD mounted just below the radio, mouse-touchpad in place of the coin tray, IR keyboard. Rear seats are out so the carputer will go in an enclosure I put there, along with various switches, power distribution and fuses, plus a box for conditioning signals from sensors on the car which will feed into a data acquisition board in the PC. I've got most of the stuff together, but have been delayed in getting the rear-seat enclosure built.

The biggest part of the project will be the data acquisition and software.

A few pictures:

Record lap times

Monitor gauges

Control cameras

Advise to anyone tryng this - plan, plan, plan, build on a bench and test, then install. Also, $ave, $ave, $ave, 'cause it'll cost more than at first thought.

Still, would like to see pics or plans of xbiOs' project.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wireless Internet = Cingular $9.99 a month. You end up using your phone as a modem, but you have internet access anywhere your phone does. Several other companies do the same.

I have her all planned out, just awaiting parts and all of that good stuff ;)

I am actually building one for my dad's motorcycle as well. Using a RAM Mount system for the monitor (so it can be removed) Primarily for GPS but he also enters his bike (a tourer) in shows and will have some videos on it for added points ;) WiFi connection as well.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sharkcohen said:
You might want to consider using a laptop hard drive to help endure the bouncing around in the car.

Why not use the shuttle form factor to minimize on space?
I was going to use ITX cases (like I am using for the motorcycle) but I want some extra PCI cards that they aren't too friendly with. I have no problem putting this in my trunk as it won't be too bad. I am also making a little display in the trunk with the PC (I am going to use a box with a clear side) along with the amp...

The ITX case is coming in real handy on the motorcycle, can make a decent system on it for the GPS and whatnot.

The motorcycle case is also turning into a mobile storage system for his digicam. He has a nice digicam that he takes tons of pics on, he will have a WiFi connection on her so he can (a) upload pictures from the bike-pc to the house and (b) so he can update the weather while they are on vacation.

Another nifty thing is google has a "WhereismyGPS" website where you can track people. I haven't looked into it fully but would be nice for family on vacation so you can see where they are at. A little scary due to invasion of privacy but might be cool for my family to see where eachother is at.

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
xbi0s said:
Wireless Internet = Cingular $9.99 a month. You end up using your phone as a modem, but you have internet access anywhere your phone does. Several other companies do the same.

I have her all planned out, just awaiting parts and all of that good stuff ;)

I am actually building one for my dad's motorcycle as well. Using a RAM Mount system for the monitor (so it can be removed) Primarily for GPS but he also enters his bike (a tourer) in shows and will have some videos on it for added points ;) WiFi connection as well.

Yeah Verizon has it too. The new blackberry and vx6700 have broadband access.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts