Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day when I took out the Prelude for a drive to the local mall I noticed when I romped on the throttle a big black puff of smoke comes out from the exhaust. I really felt sorry for the Civic Coupe behind me.

I'm thinking it's just carbon build-up but I do worry that maybe I'm running rich? The only bolt-ons I have are a AEM SR and the Tanabe Racing Medallion full-cat back exhaust system. Nothing else. This only happens when I don't push the car hard for a few days and when I do get on it this black cloud of smoke just blows out of the exhaust. Any help would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

- Drew

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Preludes run rich from the factory. Its a fact. If you ever look at your rear bumper before you wash it, especially not modded, you'll see tons of deposit on the back and on your exhaust tips.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
The only fix I know of is to purchase and tune a S-AFC to lean out the air/fuel mixture. But if you're going to spend the cash on a S-AFC, you might as well pop the few extra bucks and get a V-AFC so you can adjust the vtec crossover point also. Other than that, we just have to cope with our rich engines.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everyone Thanks! I knew it was nothing to worry about but you've all reassured me. It was really funny tho too see this puff of black smoke just shoot out the back of my exhaust system onto this Civic full of kids. I guess that's what they get for following me too close. :)

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i know mine is running rich as hell...for one she sputters for .5 seconds in 1st gear @ 1500K rpms and i can smell it out the rear....but i dont get black stuff over my rear bumper...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I don't get the black stuff all over the rear bumper. The stuff just shoots out when I don't get on the car for awhile. I do notice a gain in power when the stuff clears out.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
it always does that at VTEC/WOT....specially w/ mods ;) :D VAFC will help, an will gain HP/torque, so that's always a good investment :bigthumb: my rear bumper gets dirty....gotta clean it off quickly or it starts to make it dirty all the time....my rear bumper isn't as nice lookin as the rest of the car....****, not even as clean as the other side of the rear bumper :( it just happens.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmm... a VAFC. Oh wells, just another excuse to dump more money on my Prelude. Got me interested in getting one. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
header's are a wast for 5th gen unless you get a mugen or something similar. I've got a POS DC sports on mine and all it did was lighten up the front end by 30 lbs or so.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The main reason I wasn't putting much money into mods was because the thought of getting the JRSC or maybe a custom turbo and so I wasn't gonna dump a whole lot of money till I decided what route I want to take.

Now that I have an 03' Accord Coupe I'm seeing myself buying stuff for the Accord.

·
Still a Mugen Whore..Damn
169 Posts
I just posted about this in the Kills section on Honda Tech!

I had some guy in a Chevy Impala SS tailgaiting me and I knew I hadn't romped on it in a while.

He was on my back bumper when I hit the VTEC crossover point and I blew a big ass black cloud of smoke on his tailgaiting ass!

Maybe next time he won't follow so close unless he likes washing that crap off his car!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts