Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, my car won't start when the engine is warm. It starts fine when the engine is cold, but when warm, no dice. What the dilly yo? It will crank, and if I let it crank 10 times, take the key out, then let it start cranking again, it sometimes start.:confused: :mad:

·
Registered
584 Posts
ZMonkey11 said:
As the title says, my car won't start when the engine is warm. It starts fine when the engine is cold, but when warm, no dice. What the dilly yo? It will crank, and if I let it crank 10 times, take the key out, then let it start cranking again, it sometimes start.:confused: :mad:
I honestly dont know. The last car that did that had a bad crank sensor. What was happening is that as the engine (and the sensor) warmed up, a short occurred inside of the sensor. Since there was no crank sensor signal, there was no spark. At that point, the car either stalled out, or if it was not running at the time, wouldnt start. Once the sensor cooled, the short would close, and the car ran again. This car had a Distributorless Ignition System, but a similar problem could be happening with your car. Do you have a shop manual for your car? If so, run though some of the ignition system tests. Also, one other thing just occurred to me. Do you know anyone else with a Prelude? If so, try swapping distributors. If your ignitor in the distributor is failing, it could definitely cause this problem. This happened to a friend of mine, except his car stalled on the road and wouldnt start back up until we put my distributor on his car. He replaced his ignitor, and it runs fine now. Ill warn you though, they arent cheap, so make sure thats the problem before spending $140 on a new ignitor.

·
>> Tragedy For You <<
725 Posts
If your car is a 5spd try letting up on the clutch very slightly when turning the key to start the car when this happens and see if it helps.

I've had intermittent problems with my car not wanting to start when it's hot out and discovered that if you let up on the clutch a bit instead of holding it all the way to the floor when starting that the car will magically start fine .. dunno why but it works.. :)

·
Retired, sorta
4,968 Posts
as joe namith said on the simpsons

"there is nothing funny about VAPOR LOCK"

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is vaporlock? I figured it was my battery that died on me. It was weird. The car would start off fine the first ime, but then afterwards, it wouldn't start again. Then it just ended up not starting at all. Just the battery guys, but thanks for the help.

P.S. What is vaporlock?

·
Retired, sorta
4,968 Posts
ZMonkey11 said:
what is vaporlock? I figured it was my battery that died on me. It was weird. The car would start off fine the first ime, but then afterwards, it wouldn't start again. Then it just ended up not starting at all. Just the battery guys, but thanks for the help.

P.S. What is vaporlock?
Vapor Lock Definition: When gasoline overheats and boils inside the carburetor bowl or fuel pump of a hot engine, it ceases to flow. This can cause stalling or hard starting. This is called vapor lock, and it usually happens during hot weather. If a hot engine won't start, all you can do is let it sit and cool off. You should check the cooling system to see if anything is causing the engine to run unusually hot (a bad thermostat or cooling fan, for example). Switching brands of gasoline may also help.
-posted by racinghonda
from this thread: http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110197

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
im definitely thinking VAPORLOCK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts