Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Budonkadonk!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, how do you guys wash your cars?
Do you get a hose and a bucket?
Do you drive to one of those powerwash (do it yourself) places?
or do you take it to a Pay 10.00 and let them do it places?

is powerwashing safe? They seem to be all over the place, but now i'm getting paranoid because of clearcoat peeling which may or may not be linked to the powerwash.

last time i took it to a car wash business they bent my antenna by turning the radio on before sending it through the machine. The dumbass continued to try to explain how it wasn't their fault, man i was pisssed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Powerwashing will strip your wax... and depending on how strong it is and how often you use it... it may be what is causing your clearcoat problem. Get some soap and a couple buckets... you'll do a better job anyway. Taking it to a carwash business is good for people like me... cuz I'm a detailer and do it on the side for extra cash too... but why do that when you can do it yourself? I wouldn't trust anyone but myself either.

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
Hose and bucket in my backyard.

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
fierce said:
whats the bucket for? Hose + wash pad + soap

spray the car, wash, rinse...
Where does the soap and water go? :p

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
:p Haha. I realized it was a dumb question. :malken:

I usually have two buckets. I put soap and water in one and do the body of the car with that. Then I pour the remainder into another bucket for tires and rims. I just can't imagine washing the car without a bucket? :p

I guess you just put the soap directly on the car?

·
Budonkadonk!
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i'm guessing most of you guys who get a bucket and hose use car wash soap? if so what brands do you recommend? I used dawn, but now people are saying that you shouldn't use it to wash your car.....:confused:

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
Either Meguiar's Gold Class or Mother's carwash. Dawn is good for washing your car if you are planning on doing a full detailing job. It strips the wax off your car. I definitely wouldn't recommend it though. Just wash, claybar, then apply new wax. :)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I just load of my wash pad with soap, and it will wash the whole car easy... so then im just walking around with a hose in one hand and the pad in the other :)

bucket shmucket

:p

·
jon still has my hrt RIP
1,199 Posts
fierce said:
I just load of my wash pad with soap, and it will wash the whole car easy... so then im just walking around with a hose in one hand and the pad in the other :)

bucket shmucket

:p
Then you'd just be moving dirt around your car with the pad. I always dip the mitt or sea sponge in the water to rinse out the dirt before I wipe another area.

Do you get small scratches on your car from washing it that way?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
vickmeister said:

Then you'd just be moving dirt around your car with the pad. I always dip the mitt or sea sponge in the water to rinse out the dirt before I wipe another area.

Do you get small scratches on your car from washing it that way?
not at all, I rinse the pad off just like you do. I dont dip it in a bucket though, i spray it with the hose water

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
DjChowFun said:
you're uh moving dirt/particles/whatever from what part of the car to another

the reason you have 2 buckets is to get all that crap off your mitt that way it doesn't scratch up your car
No im not... the pad is being rinsed with clean water constantly, and high pressure

·
I kerned the Serif
741 Posts
I live in an apartment and I have yet to modify a garden hose to feed in from the kitchen sink since there's no outside line. :laugh:

So it's always the do it yourself car wash; haven't had any bad experiences with the powerwash though. The most I'll pay for a machine wash is $6. Luckily the one I go to gets it done efficiently; but never $10.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts