Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently read a post that was posted by azn-trance-boy regarding his 4th gen. prelude being stolen in seattle, wa. i'm from tacoma, just south of seattle.

what kind of precautions do you guys take from car theft? what is the possibility of a 5th. gen. prelude being targeted? your opinions/experiences would be helpful. thanks

------------------
2k pearl white 5spd base honda prelude.

getting killed is easy, staying alive is work.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
5th gens aren't much in demand, they're a 'rare' car so it's hard to drive around with a stolen one and not being noticed, but they're not so rare that people resort to stealing them so they can get one (ie, Supra)

Good precautions are a good alarm, parking in a garage (if you live in an apartment, make sure there is a camera system), starter disablers, etc.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D R E W:
i just recently read a post that was posted by azn-trance-boy regarding his 4th gen. prelude being stolen in seattle, wa. i'm from tacoma, just south of seattle.

what kind of precautions do you guys take from car theft? what is the possibility of a 5th. gen. prelude being targeted? your opinions/experiences would be helpful. thanks

</font>

moving out of tacoma will help!

i live in olympia, theft hasn't hit too big here from what i've seen...just vandalism....luckily i live way out in the boonies and my car is garaged and we have a gate so i think my car is safe

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, currently i have a good car alarm, but saw an info commercial advertising this anti car theft device called the auto-lock. it's a metal device that is placed under your brake or accelerator and locks into place. anyone seen this or has one?

------------------

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahcjar103,

haha... yeah i also have the very special privilage of parking my car in the garage ( it's only been left out once overnight ) other than that, i'm pretty much paranoid about leaving it outside in the parking lots of malls where 14yrs with screwdrivers can do some amateur car prowling, those little bastards... btw, i'm thinking of getting a tilt sensor, would it be necessary?

------------------

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
yeah, currently i have a good car alarm, but saw an info commercial advertising this anti car theft device called the auto-lock. it's a metal device that is placed under your brake or accelerator and locks into place. anyone seen this or has one?
</font>
i think i saw that infomercial one late night while i was sick...i remember them cutting the club in half in 8 seconds and stuff....it seems like an ok idea, i'm not sure how much they run, i guess it couldn't hurt, but i think theives would have found a way around those by now

[This message has been edited by ahcjar103 (edited April 16, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
ahcjar103,

haha... yeah i also have the very special privilage of parking my car in the garage ( it's only been left out once overnight ) other than that, i'm pretty much paranoid about leaving it outside in the parking lots of malls where 14yrs with screwdrivers can do some amateur car prowling, those little bastards... btw, i'm thinking of getting a tilt sensor, would it be necessary?

</font>
do people's sh!t get jacked at tacoma mall?

considering how easy it is to steal a honda, i'm paranoid too....as far as a tilt sensor, if you have like dual stage shock sensors i'm not sure how beneficiary the tilt sensor would be since the alarm would have already gone off..but correct me if i'm wrong..i dont know much about alarms....just that i have a clifford

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
auto - lock, you'd have to pay $71.80 tax/shipping already included. yeah, it seems kinda pricey, but i'm willing to spend that much. as for the club, it showed the theft sawing the steering wheel and then bending the steering wheel over and removing the club, and what was really stupid, at the end of the info commercial, the company actually thanked the professional car theives for their so called professional job. wtf? haha

------------------

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i also have a clifford alarm that is set to high sensitivity, so any kind of vibration/touch it chirps. nah, the tacoma mall is safe, they have those security suvs and a red chevy cavalier with a "tacoma securtiy sticker stuck to the side of the car", best watchout, it's a sleeper! they patrol the parking lot, didn't mean to scare you like that...

------------------

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
If I leave my car unattended on the street for a while then I usually remove the coil to dist. cap wire. It is a bit of a PIA but not as much as having to walk home!

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
725 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
considering how easy it is to steal a honda, i'm paranoid too....as far as a tilt sensor, if you have like dual stage shock sensors i'm not sure how beneficiary the tilt sensor would be since the alarm would have already gone off..but correct me if i'm wrong..i dont know much about alarms....just that i have a clifford

</font>
I would say that a tilt sensor helps alot. I have it on my car (Clifford) and have actually tested it out. Set the hydraulic jack up, and slowly start jacking the car up, after a few degrees, the alarm starts blaring (with no warning chirp from the shock sensor). I setup my alarm so that it's sensitive enough that it'll go off when someone bangs on the A-pillar, but won't go off because of a stupid loud exhaust. I'm the type of person whose ears peak whenever I think I hear my alarm, so running out there every damn time a loud exhaust rolls by is a big PIA.

I'm not sure how sensitive you've set yours at, but if you have rims, then the tilt sensor is definately worth it.

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
yeh a tilt sensor is a good idea. I got one and it works great. I also have a back-up battery, back-up siren, proxity sensor, etc...basically i got all the extra stuff. Locks on my wheels, dark tint. Also the installation of your alarm is very important too. You want to hide the "brain" of the alarm so thieves cant find it. And of course all the wires and siren, etc. I had mine installed by a friend that used to steal cars so he knows all the good spots to hide everything. I know it isnt 100% safe from thief but at least it slows them down or discourages them.

[This message has been edited by H23Lude (edited April 16, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Does anyone know of a 5th Gen getting stolen? I've been on this list a little while but have been on the Onelist ML since it's been around as well as the VTEC.NET ML when that was around and never seen anyone post that their car got stolen. I'm guessing it's tough to do because of the imobilizer in the key? Does anyone know of someone who had their 5th gen stolen?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jmcn:
I have an AutoLock.
No break-ins yet; knock on wood.

</font>
I heard the auto-lock is hard to put on 5th Gens? true? that some people put it on backwards?

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by checkmate58:
I heard the auto-lock is hard to put on 5th Gens? true? that some people put it on backwards?

--Sam

</font>
Nope, it's not hard at all. Anyone who says that hasn't fooled around with it enough to learn how to put it on the proper way. I can put it on and remove it in seconds--no problems at all using it the regular way.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have a Clifford alarm w/shock sensor; the club/cap combo. Thinking about getting a hood lock and back-up siren. The autolock seems stronger than the club but at least my airbag is safe.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.