Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 prelude just dies after I attempt to turn it on, I thought my battery was dead so I went to get it tested and found out it was no good so I bought a brand new battery. When I put the key in everything worked fine. The stereo worked fine, headlights, windows went down,etc. but when I went to turn it on everything shut off, there was no crank or any sound. No more headlight or any lights. Could it be a fuse?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does everything come back on when you stop attempting starting If not, probably a fuse, check if your battery is connected right.
If all does come back on, your new battery is still bad, (which happens quite often), or your ignition lock is bad.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 97 prelude just dies after I attempt to turn it on, I thought my battery was dead so I went to get it tested and found out it was no good so I bought a brand new battery. When I put the key in everything worked fine. The stereo worked fine, headlights, windows went down,etc. but when I went to turn it on everything shut off, there was no crank or any sound. No more headlight or any lights. Could it be a fuse?
Willem's idea is a good one. Sometimes your battery connections can be tight but corrosion inside on the clamps and the posts can cause the battery not to deliver full amperage. Disconnect your battery clamps, negative first. Use sandpaper to lightly clean the inside of the clamps and the posts. Reattach, positive first. As you have a new battery it's likely to be the clamps that are, or might be, corroded.

Disconnecting battery power causes your radio presets to be erased and there may be some computer or other settings that are lost too. I don't know about '97s. When auto parts stores replace the battery for you they have a way to keep some electric power in your wiring. Ask they guys who sold you the new battery (and installed it, I presume) if you can disconnect the batter to clean the contacts as I describe. If you need to keep power in the wiring to keep your settings, ask them to help.

The issue of losing settings can be a pain I believe some cars need to be "reprogrammed" after a loss of power. My understanding of this is vague at best regarding specific cars so check with the store or someone until you're sure that removing battery power won't cost you for reprogramming.

Finally, I don't have a wiring diagram open to verify this but I seem to recall that when you turn your key to crank the engine the switch temporarily cuts power to some, most or all other electrical components not involved in cranking and starting. If you're turning the key and lights go off, etc., that's probably normal. Just an FYI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts