Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on getting both in the near future--just want to make sure they are compatable.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sure, why not?! Just don't set the VAFC to lean out while on the hose.. that modifies injector pulse width, which isn't cool to do when on the hose.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I have to change all the settings if I wanted to use the juice? I'm asuming during normal driving (without juice) the settings will probably be leaned out.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You may have to set the fuel correction settings back to 0% when using the N20, as the injector pulse width will be slower, although the added fuel pressure from the dry nitrous kit will provide extra fuel. If you keep it jetted around 50-60HP, you should have no trouble keeping the VAFC settings at 5% leaner.. any more is not worth it. The Zex kit will raise the rail pressure enough to run safely.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Malken--what nitrous setup do you run? If I want to install myself is the Zex my best bet.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
i have also thought about this issue since i have this set up already. i thought would the zex cpu take over the settings of the VAFC? or would it be the other way around?

cant wait to get your results malken

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

G

·
Unfortunately, as I have stated before, I am a big anti ZEX person, I hate their kits, and would never buy one. If you are interested in finding out why, AIM or email me sometime.

I use NOS brand products.. currently a 50 shot, am still on my first bottle in 9 months.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Zex kit doesn't use a CPU. In fact, the design is rather crude compared to a NOS kit. 3 wires: power, ground, and TPS. Hell, you don't even need the ground wire, because once the bottle is bolted to the chassis, the steel-braided line serves as a ground all the way up to the solenoid. It's simple, cheap, and too damn easy to install.

Kinda like CD-R drives back in the day. I had one of the first 4X CD-R drives, a $550 Yamaha. Needed a SCSI controller and all. Now CD-RW drives are made for the masses; dirt cheap and on ISA buses.

Do yourself a favor and read up on how N2O works, what the systems do, and how power is added. I'd hate to see anyone hook up a Zex kit, jet it for 75HP, and not even bother to back out the timing, swap in copper plugs and gap them down, and run an old, dirty fuel filter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, Lude_Conduct,
Are you saying you like Zex or not. I would think simple is better.

Malken-
Are you saying you don't spray very often?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the Zex kit out of the fact that it's simple, VERY easy to install, and very easy to hide (make for a stealth setup). What I don't like is the kit is so damn simple, there is no nitrous pressure gauge on the bottle, it won't work with a progressive-rate controller, fuel pills are hard to change if the control box is buried in the engine bay, and it's not wise to run a dry kit any more than 75HP.

The ultimate kit is the NOS wet-plate system. It's good for up to 200HP (although I wouldn't jet it for much more than 100HP), it functions like a direct-port but bolts right in, is a wet system, very tuneable, and works well with a progressive-rate controller.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
y0 lude_conduct
i live like 2 minutes from you. I used to go to northwest, im in southlake but on the trophy club side. Maybe we could hook up or sometin, i drive a black 5gen.

peace

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Lude Conduct. How do you back up the timing in a 5th Gen Lude when running Nitrous??? If you retard or advance the timing in a OBDII would the ECU just reset it back to normal?

------------------
2000 Prelude Type SH
Premium Pearl White

MODS: AEM CAI, DC Header, Greddy PE Exhaust, Vitek Wires, AEM CamGears, AEM TruPwr Pulleys, UR Crank Pulley, Apexi V-AFC, ACT XT Clutch, DC ShortShift Adaptor, ZEX 55 Shot Nitrous

V-Spec Coilovers, DC Fr. Upper Strut Bar, CarbonFiber Hood, OEM Bodykit, 17" Nippon Racing/NittoNT555ZRs, Type S shiftknob........

·
Registered
136 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SH22A4:
Hey Lude Conduct. How do you back up the timing in a 5th Gen Lude when running Nitrous??? If you retard or advance the timing in a OBDII would the ECU just reset it back to normal?

</font>
Umm... true. Guess you got me there. I'm so used to my '95 OBDI ECU. Maybe the service manual at the Honda Dealership has some tips? If not, watch out for anything jetted over 65HP, run an octane booster, and colder copper plugs gapped at .035.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts