Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 5th gen base that hit a curb.

I removed the lower arm and replaced it, the damaged one was bent like 20 degrees...

The question I have is I cant get the radius rod back onto it. The rod is twisted slightly so that the holes for the bolts are not flush w/ the control arm.

Question is, do I have to buy a new rod? Or can I take it to a shop to twist it back on?

-----------------------------------

Question 2 is, the "stabilizer link" is also bent to hell, should I buy a new one? Its $49 at HAP dot com, is that right? should I replace that or should I bent that back to shape too?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am working on a 5th gen base that hit a curb.

I removed the lower arm and replaced it, the damaged one was bent like 20 degrees...

The question I have is I cant get the radius rod back onto it. The rod is twisted slightly so that the holes for the bolts are not flush w/ the control arm.

Question is, do I have to buy a new rod? Or can I take it to a shop to twist it back on?

-----------------------------------

Question 2 is, the "stabilizer link" is also bent to hell, should I buy a new one? Its $49 at HAP dot com, is that right? should I replace that or should I bent that back to shape too?

Rotate the radius rod so that it screws in the opposite way? lol. How did it fit before you removed it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Since you're replacing suspension parts you're going to need an alignment check anyway. If everything is within spec there's probably no reason to worry so you might give it a shot yourself first. I'd take a good look at the bent lower arm and, based on how it's bent, if it makes sense that the radius rod might be as well. It has a lot of rubber at the front mounting point so it may turn out to be OK. You'll want to at least loosen the front nut til you can rotate it easily, then see if it lines up with the holes on the lower arm. If it does, bolt everything back up, torque it to spec and take some measurements.

A bent radius rod will effect the caster angle. It's fairly easy to make a rough check with a tape measure. Using a point like the lower ball joint nut, take a measurement to a point on the rear suspension. Then take the same measurement on the other (good) side. If the two measurements are close, I'd say 1/4" or so, it's probably OK. If the bent side is a little long (not likely) you can add some shims to the front of the rod to put it back where it belongs. If it's noticeably off go to a junk yard and get one. If you can get both sides reading the same it's time for the alignment. If everything is within spec you're good to go.

As far as the link goes, if you can get it to where it looks straight, it's probably straight enough to work. Those things are kind of thin, so with bending back I'd probably end up replacing it. If money's tight look for somebody doing a part out. The one you straightened should last long enough for you to find one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts