Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How bad are cam seal leaks? I went to midas to see if I had a coolant leak adn they told me I didn't have one but they said my cam seal is leaking very little and I didn't need to get it fixed right away. This was a couple months ago. When should I get that fixed? Should I get a different cam seal or stay with OEM?

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
you mean the little plug on the distributor side of the engine?

a leak isn't good, but you won't lose massive amounts of oil through there. everyone says that the STR seals are better cuz they have 3 seals in the plug, whereas the stock one is all rubber and merely has 3 little ridges on it where it makes contact with the head.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
I had mine replaced when I got my timing belt done. I used to lose 1/2 a quart or so of oil between oil changes before I got the cam seal replaced. Now I don't burn any oil at all.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
The STR seal DOES work better. It's worth every penny. My stock seal started leaking, and after I put the STR seal in, NO more leakage. :bigthumb:

J

·
Registered
808 Posts
G_Loc said:
you mean the little plug on the distributor side of the engine?

a leak isn't good, but you won't lose massive amounts of oil through there. everyone says that the STR seals are better cuz they have 3 seals in the plug, whereas the stock one is all rubber and merely has 3 little ridges on it where it makes contact with the head.
You do know that your supposed to use honda-bond when you put in don't you?:p The Honda-bond is really what forms the seal... opposed to the three o-ring STR style. I changed mine (it wasen't leaking) when I last pulled the head and its not leaked a drop ever. You decide- three bucks or an STR seal for $20. You have to buy the Honda-bond anyways. I have to admit that im lucky that mine dosen't leak since almost everyone's engine I see has this problem.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
yea, i used sealant when i put it on :)

i was gonna mention that if you put on hondabond, or whatever, on the new seal, there's no reason why it should leak

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Many people had problems no matter what sealant they used if they stuck w/ the stock honda seals--this was what made me want to go for the STR seal (I heard many good reviews about it).

J

1 - 8 of 8 Posts