Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, i wanted to ask all of you with cam gears, what brand you use. I used to have AEM on my old f22 motor, and hated it. I don't like AEM for much, other than their intakes. My old cam gear was marked wrong from the factory, and 0 was really about -2degrees. I won't touch AEM. Also, what settings have you tried, and what kind of gains did you notice>?
I know that tuning the gears on my h22 motor will be different, since i don't want to deal with valve overlap etc, due to the dual cam etc....
What could be some tips on tuning the gears?

I understand that to do it all properly, i need a dyno, etc....
But with that one obvious tip out of the way, what do you guys recomend?
thanks

------------------

once you go H22a, you don't think about the past

·
0 Posts
I really like my Unorthodox Racing cam gears. Expensive, but perhaps the best ones on the market. I bought them for a bit under $400. Skunk2 cam gears are good too, but the bolt is right in the way of the markings. Skunk2's are also much cheaper, only about $225 for the set.

I have heard that not only do AEM cam gears slip if you don't torque them down, but Larry told me that the metal is soft enough that it gets seized onto the cam. He mentioned that he had to use a gear puller the last time he took them off of his Type R.

Larry also mentioned that STR has problems with wear, but I don't have the details, sorry.

Dyno tuning is the best way to tune them, sorry!

More overlap = loss in low end, gain in high end

Less overlap = just the opposite

These are just rules of thumb, there are always exceptions.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Billy -- I noticed you didn't mention JUN gears. I know they run for about $400 also. I don't know if you've seen them in person before, but I was wondering if Larry had said anything about them? I was thinking about getting those.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would the best settings be for some good low end power? I am not worried about the high end as much.
thanks guys

------------------

once you go H22a, you don't think about the past

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
Billy -- I noticed you didn't mention JUN gears. I know they run for about $400 also. I don't know if you've seen them in person before, but I was wondering if Larry had said anything about them? I was thinking about getting those.

-Erik
</font>
I wouldn't suspect that there would be a problem with JUN cam gears as they are made from stock cam gears. I don't think Larry has tested them. I like the UR cam gears much better than the JUN cam gears, but that's my personal taste.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 5 of 5 Posts