Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some DC SS headers on my 4G H23 today and now my cat sounds like its busted...how does a busted cat sound? Theres a rattling sound at about 2500-3000 rpm thats coming from the area around the cat. Do i need a new cat or what? Please help.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
maybe its your heat shield??? i believe if your cat is busted it should be spitting out that stuff inside....and usually you have some on your rear bumper...try the heat shield around the cat and near it and if thats not it it might after all be your cat

·
Registered
381 Posts
If a cat is actually busted in pretty much ANY way, it'll throw a code. If it's cracked, it'll throw a code. If it's clogged, it'll throw a code. They can tell alot from that little o2 sensor in it. More likely what it is is the bracket that holds the header down there. maybe you didn't tighten something down right or it broke (i understand they are notorious for doing so). But it's almost certianly not your cat.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since its the holiday weekend, everyones busy and I wont be able to check it out until at least Tuesday. But my O2 sensor is located on the downpipe before the cat so i dont see how a busted cat is going to affect it. I was planning on getting a Random Tech cat soon anyway, but maybe its just going to have to be alot sooner than I anticipated.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I had a similar situation with my 5th gen Prelude. The 5th gen cat has two sections and if the front section comes apart like mine did it is possible to have a rattling sound and not throw a code. What I did was remove the cat and gut the front section which fixed the rattle sound and then reinstalled it. I never had any other problems with it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NO...i got it brand new...my cat should be good cuz i just passed my smog check the week before...thats why i am putting all this stuff (AEM CAI, DC SS Headers, Greddy SP exhaust) on...hopefully wont have to smog for a while...hehe

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
the '94's don't have the second O2 sensor that would tell you if the cat is toast. I think it sounds like you have a loose heat sheild. Go back under there and see if anything is close to the exhaust piping.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot guys...i will check it out ASAP...i just wanted to get an idea so I could order my Random Cat if I needed it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts