Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAY for me! Took me 8 1/2 years to get one and finally that day is here. I own a Honda Prelude 1999 2dr (obvious) Black SS Base Model.

------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: Burning Rich Bad Mileage
  • I started off 16L per 100km then 18L, then 18.5 for like 5 fill ups and then I parked it for the winter and drove it 3 months later and got 22.5L per 100km. After taking it in for a valve adjustment they said I didn't need one and found that my IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE was not properly connected and tightened. My last fill up was 20L per 100km and I drove like a granny. Somewhere along the lines I read that Fuel Filters can be the cause of more consumption of fuel...???

Possible Solution:

• Fuel Filter - Clogging causing more pressure into the line forcing more fuel then required by normal operations. (myth???)

What I've done so far:

• Valve adjustment (but deemed my valves to be more or less right on the money.)
  • Technician: noticed Idle Air Control Valve was not properly connected to the throttle body. In turn causing more fuel consumption. Not heating throttle properly. Tightened.
  • Checked Tire Pressure. (Required some air but now balanced.)
  • Spark Plugs were pulled and found to be rich. Were said from the looks of them they were not that old.(Were not cleaned off or checked for proper gap measurement.)
  • Tail pipe residue is a clear sign of burning rich.
Other Solutions:
  • Air Filter - Change to K&N.
  • Upper and Lower Sensors for exchaust??? (Don't know if those exist)
  • Computer - Resetting it. (If possible.)

If anyone has ran into this problem I'd love to hear how you cleared up the issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
upper and lower sensor? u mean the o2 sensors? yah they very much DO exist and is a pretty important factor on gas mileage. they are both under the car.. before and after the cat. repalce those with denso sensors. and hey do u no where the fuel filter is located?? i might have to change mine too..

thanks and GL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brotherdog to your question most fuel filters I've ever seen were at the rear right hand side of the car following the gas lines. It's an almost round object 3 inches in lenght and 2 inches in height or there abouts.

But from what I've been reading you need a special tool. A "Crowfoot" sounds like a bloody crowbar to me...

For what it cost parts and labour I would just take it into a shop. At Honda the part is 45 dollars and the labour is 45 dollars plus taxes. So $100.00. And I heard it's a pita to install so I'd rather let the pros handle it.

I believe I found my answer in the forums concerning my fuel consumption. I found this information very useful and plan on doing my Fuel Filter right away. I have a bad feeling I have the stock fuel filter on my car.

http://www.preludeonline.com/f60/fuel-filter-ugh-199703/#post2412203

I just did a conversion of litres to MPG so that you all can feel my pain...
10.5 to 13MPG is what I get in city driving.

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
The fuel filter is in the engine bay on the right side at the bottom along the firewall. It's easier to get to from underneath. Anyway, you probably need a tune up. New distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. Then you can clean the EGR ports and EGR valve. (search for the how-to) And to reset the computer you pull out the fuse for the radio\clock in the underhood fuse box for 15-20 seconds with the car off. That should improve your mileage. All of this stuff has been covered and you can find how-to guides for changing the fuel filter and cleaning the EGR ports by clicking this: http://www.preludeonline.com/search.php

Hey, I got a question.....If you guys use the metric system, do you still call it "gas mileage" or do you say "gas kilometerage" ? HAHA

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gas Kilometerage with the eh at the end. :p

My spark plugs were pulled and they told me that they were not that old because the porcelain shows age by gradually staining from the base upwards. they figured maybe 30,000 on them so far... They are NGK Plats.

Also they felt that my sparkplug cables were in very good shape.

"EGR ports and EGR valve" I'm not familiar with these. What are they?

And I hear resetting the computer does wonders.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey where are you in canada?

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
but seriously, you have a 97, take it in to Honda for the free tune up. They will do new plugs wires rotor cap and distributer for free along with a free oil change( i brought my own oil and filter an they used that) Next step is the fuel filter and a reset on the ecu and you should have cover basically everything for a full tuneup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
but seriously, you have a 97, take it in to Honda for the free tune up. They will do new plugs wires rotor cap and distributer for free along with a free oil change( i brought my own oil and filter an they used that) Next step is the fuel filter and a reset on the ecu and you should have cover basically everything for a full tuneup.
Since when did Honda dealers do free tune ups?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoa! Are you on the same topic here? You seem like you were half way into a paragraph then you came here and posted the rest of it??? 97? Mine is a 99 and here in my city Honda doesn't give anything away for free especially labor. :nono:

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
Are you seeing excessive smoke coming out of the tailpipe? Backfiring?

A bad TPS can cause crazy fuel mixture problems.

BTW, the fuel filter is in the engine bay right on the firewall, no need to get under the car or dig around anywhere.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
^Unless it is a 5g, then it is a pain to get to.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Orly? Fail train ride for me :laugh:

I wonder why Honda changed the location of filter
The spot is so strange the 5G filter became a lifetime filter. :laugh:

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
The EGR ports are on the intake manifold. The EGR valve is on the left side of the IM . Check out the how-to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK well. I got my Fuel Filter done. Needless to say it was night and day when getting back into the car and driving it away from the Honda Dealership.

I asked them to try and confirm the age of the fuel filter... the date 97/01 of course is the manufacture date. So they couldn't confirm it was the original. However, they know it is at least been over 150,000 due to the shape it was in and warned that a fuel filter should be switched out long before then.

Also I'd like to point out that the mention of slower rolling windows or moon roof becoming slower due to more draw of power because of the clogged fuel filter was 100% Absolutely Correct.

I've never seen my windows or moonroof open and close so fast before. As far as my mileage goes... I believe this to be the root of my slow build up in gas burned per 100km. Which would explain the slow rise in fuel consumption.

With a full tank of gas I will know the difference in fuel consumption in about 2 weeks and will let you all know how it went. Thanks for the responces.

Regards,
K

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
Damn, your windows roll up and down faster? That's craziness. My passenger side is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. And I replaced my fuel filter not that long ago. Hmmmmmmm. I wish it woulda made it go faster.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn, your windows roll up and down faster? That's craziness. My passenger side is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. And I replaced my fuel filter not that long ago. Hmmmmmmm. I wish it woulda made it go faster.
Ahhh yes but you have had your car longer and have kept it in decent shape so your problems can be elsewhere. I am going from **** to hopefully BAMMM! Only records I really have of upkeep on my car is regular oil changes. However, the timing was recently done along with the water pump, air filter and spark plugs...

But I didn't believe it either but I already new my windows were slow opening and closing along with my moonroof... all I had done to my car was a fuel filter and there was a huge noticeable difference in speed for windows and moonroof.

Less draw from the battery if it doesn't have to force it out of a clogged fuel filter. Makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fuel filter? Aren't you supposed to replace those with ever oil change (10k max)? 150k miles over due...WOW, the car didn't explode yet?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts