Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so on my way to work this morning i started smelling burning oil, i could only smell it when i stopped somewhere like a stoplight where i had to sit for a little while. the smell was really strong and i did notice a little smoke comming from under the hood. when i got to work i looked under the hood and couldnt see any leaking from the valve cover but could definitly smell it. i dont know where it is coming from but i need to figure out where it could be comming from since this is so random....can anyone help?

·
Registered
12 Posts
did you do the oil change yesterday or coupledays ago?? on the prelude when you removel the oil filter the oil always drip on the center pipe maybe that's the cause

·
Registered
72 Posts
did you do the oil change yesterday or coupledays ago?? on the prelude when you removel the oil filter the oil always drip on the center pipe maybe that's the cause
yeah i hate this about the Prelude always have to wrap mine with a towel before removing the filter. you think Honda could have prevented this

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so while i was here, at work, yesterday my friend came by and checked my oil other fluids and such. we added 1 and a half quarts....and was still a quart low...i just checked it on monday and it was good so i was pretty sure that i had a leak...anyways, when i left work it did the same thing so i went, changed my oil put a new filter on blah blah blah...when we started the car to circulate the oil, it didnt just drip, it poured out from somewhere above the oil filter. ... now what.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i hate this about the Prelude always have to wrap mine with a towel before removing the filter. you think Honda could have prevented this
and it was a couple weeks ago that i had the oil changed sory forgot to mention that :p

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
check the ring where you put the filter in

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that was why we changed the filter...we cleaned it up, made sure there wasnt two gaskets there, and replaced the old one. the leak seems to be comming from above the filter somewhere. they are thinking maybe the o-ring at the oil cooler or something around the area. all i know really is that its above the filter and there is oil everywhere....ggrrrr

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its most likely your oil pressure switch they are one of the most common things to leak on honda's there only about 10-20 dollars

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok so it turned out that it was the oil cooler gasket, which was about 4 bucks to fix, although the oil that was leaked and sprayed everywhere under my car is still burning off, im getting so tired of that smell..lol anyway, there have been a couple of other 5th gen ludes that have had the same problem around here in the past couple of months, so if you start burning alot more oil than normal just change that one next time you change your oil. but thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts