Honda Prelude Online banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,083 Posts
Holy **** lol. Trying to give myself a bit of expansion for future proofing at least two years. 4 bays would probably be enough, not quite ready to have all SSDs, but might do the M.2 for caching.

Mainly looking for storage and VM that I can roll back without having to do full restore of everything.
FreeNAS being ZFS "caches" (it is a little different) using RAM. It is incredibly fast with spinning disks. But you need piles of ram. Think at minimum 1GB per 1TB of spinning disc. I run 128GB of RAM and it uses up 90GB for ZFS "cache" right now.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
FreeNAS being ZFS "caches" (it is a little different) using RAM. It is incredibly fast with spinning disks. But you need piles of ram. Think at minimum 1GB per 1TB of spinning disc. I run 128GB of RAM and it uses up 90GB for ZFS "cache" right now.
:eek:
M.2 is cheaper than RAM. Jeebus! I want to be Solid when I grow up.

·
12,807 Posts
Still on a 4 bay synology. I'm all for DIY, but I don't have the time to configure a DIY.
Been running 5ish years, still solid.

Recently upgraded to 10TB drives on all 4. The WD mybook external drives go on sale regularly for 140ish, and you can easily extract drives out and reformat (aka shucking). They're white label, but are basically WD Reds. Super cheap!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts