Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about building an inexpensive NAS so that I can have centralized storage of our data. Right now, nearly everything is on the desktop (photos, etc), but I find myself using the laptop in the living room quite often, so I have two Outlook files now (one on the desktop and one on the laptop), which is a PITA. I've set the network up so that I can access the desktop files from the laptop, but I like the enhanced (I believe) security that a NAS offers.

Am I misguided? Any suggestions on setup? I need at least 2TBs of storage, so I was thinking of using two 2TB HDDs in a mirror setup so that I have real time backup capability.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :D

·
Offical Girl Hater.
5,892 Posts
I've been using a Synology NAS for the past 4 years. Mine is a little over kill, as I've got 4x 2tb drives in raid 5 (about 5.5tb usable).

Synology does make some 2 bay enclosures. They are rated extremely well.

Besides having a few faulty WD drives at the start, it has been up and flawless, and would highly recommend them. :bigthumb:

·
99 Base 5spd
376 Posts
I just went through exactly this process, and would just throw in one word of caution about building a DIY NAS, especially since you mentioned that data security is one of your reasons for doing so. Some of the lay person's websites that described setting up a NAS argue for using the cheapest components available, with the exception of the hard drives themselves (there, it seems like using NAS-grade drives is a universal recommendation). However, when I did a bit of digging into FreeNAS, I came across a few threads that cautioned ECC RAM (and Mobo and CPU - all three must work in concert) is an absolute necessity if you want to maintain data integrity; this lifts the price from ~$200 -> ~$500 minimum. A couple of super-users seemed pretty passionate about this; I think you'd find the threads pretty easily if you search along those lines, but if you're interested and can't find them, I'll try to dig them up and post them here.

The worst part about non-ECC RAM is that it silently corrupts your data, and by the time you know about it, it's too late to recover from. Note that 99% of us are running non-ECC RAM in our boxes and doing just fine, but I thought it was a fair point if you're building something with data security in mind, that you know the risk and mitigate it.

·
6MT RWD
920 Posts
Why not just buy a drobo?

·
12,807 Posts
I just went through exactly this process, and would just throw in one word of caution about building a DIY NAS, especially since you mentioned that data security is one of your reasons for doing so. Some of the lay person's websites that described setting up a NAS argue for using the cheapest components available, with the exception of the hard drives themselves (there, it seems like using NAS-grade drives is a universal recommendation). However, when I did a bit of digging into FreeNAS, I came across a few threads that cautioned ECC RAM (and Mobo and CPU - all three must work in concert) is an absolute necessity if you want to maintain data integrity; this lifts the price from ~$200 -> ~$500 minimum. A couple of super-users seemed pretty passionate about this; I think you'd find the threads pretty easily if you search along those lines, but if you're interested and can't find them, I'll try to dig them up and post them here.

The worst part about non-ECC RAM is that it silently corrupts your data, and by the time you know about it, it's too late to recover from. Note that 99% of us are running non-ECC RAM in our boxes and doing just fine, but I thought it was a fair point if you're building something with data security in mind, that you know the risk and mitigate it.
That's a bit too much of an idealistic view. Theoretically, you are correct. But one can argue to ends of the universe about proper data backup procedures. Truthfully, it won't affect the majority of us noticeably. All the consumer grade OTS kits use non-ECC memory as well. For a budget kit (whether store bought or DIY), this is kind of moot.

·
99 Base 5spd
376 Posts
That's a bit too much of an idealistic view. Theoretically, you are correct. But one can argue to ends of the universe about proper data backup procedures. Truthfully, it won't affect the majority of us noticeably. All the consumer grade OTS kits use non-ECC memory as well. For a budget kit (whether store bought or DIY), this is kind of moot.
I really vacillated on this point quite a bit, and ultimately decided against a NAS and settled for a simple RAID 1 in my main box. Streaming isn't much of a factor for me - I was just after data security - but the cost was too much to justify what I agree is a pretty remote possibility. Still, it is a possibility that I hadn't considered before, and that's why I brought it up in the thread. I've backed up all my very critical data to Dropbox and Google Drive - they can handle the headaches.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input guys. Looks Synology or Netgear have decent kits. I'd probably go diskless and buy my own drives. I was thinking WD, but their NAS drives have mixed reviews especially on NewEgg.

·
hi =)
2,976 Posts

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
Bringing this back up. Anyone have any updates on NAS?
Looking into it to move my data to, then I can nuke my current desktop and try setting up some VMs to play with.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I'm still running a QNAP 4 bay NAS. I switched from the A based to Intel based version, it's much faster, has virtual machine access, plex, time machine, windows backup, vpn services, home surveillance, its the complete package. You can also build a QNAP cloud if a friend or family member has a QNAP device, this will autosync data between the two for a pure off site backup.

I probably need to upgrade it again at some point and will go with SSD's when they drop in price a little more but I'm 10/10 happy.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,083 Posts
Bringing this back up. Anyone have any updates on NAS?
Looking into it to move my data to, then I can nuke my current desktop and try setting up some VMs to play with.
I bought a 24 bay 4U dual xeon supermicro on ebay a while back for $400, installed FreeNAS on it and filled it with drives.

Right now it runs all my long term file storage including a lot of steam games, since I have a 10gig NIC between my PC and the server.

I have jails setup for:
-Plex
-Sonarr
-Radarr
-Lidarr
-Headphones
-lftp
-Tautulli
-Jackett

No regrets. Overkill, but can scale.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
Holy **** lol. Trying to give myself a bit of expansion for future proofing at least two years. 4 bays would probably be enough, not quite ready to have all SSDs, but might do the M.2 for caching.

Mainly looking for storage and VM that I can roll back without having to do full restore of everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts