Honda Prelude Online banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Now now that's not what I said. I just said I don't really have a budget right now. I will have to start buying parts until I spend more than I think I should have. Then I'll buy the rest of the stuff slowly. I am leaning towards Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, and Lian Li PC-1000B right now. I haven't quite figured out the rest yet.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
why don't you make a list of the parts you want, then price out the parts to get an estimate and then go from there? Figure out your parts, then skimp on some if you don't want to spend $XXXX on the machine. :shrug:

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I do not want to skimp out on anything. I know I can get the mobo, processor, and case next month. I may have to wait a bit for the video card, (onboard sound is fine with me), SATA drives, memory, and rest of the accssories. That should only take me about a month to save up.

·
11,003 Posts
Let's see here... the basics:

CPU - 3800+
Mobo - Asus A8N
RAM - 2gb Corsair or OCZ
Video - 7800GT
HDD - 7200rpm SATA x 2
Case - LianLi
==============
Rough Total: $1200 give or take

Now.. if you were to give an absolute MAX you would spend, there are many options to choose from.

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ImagePree said:
Let's see here... the basics:

CPU - 3800+
Mobo - Asus A8N
RAM - 2gb Corsair or OCZ
Video - 7800GT
HDD - 7200rpm SATA x 2
Case - LianLi
==============
Rough Total: $1200 give or take

Now.. if you were to give an absolute MAX you would spend, there are many options to choose from.
Where could you get those parts for $1200?

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
00H22 said:
whats the reasoning behind ruling out intel? not that it bothers me. ive built alot of machines for people using both intel and amd and so far im not partial to either.
AMD chips from what I've been hearing is running faster or at least as fast as Intel chips at a lower cost. I just figured I'd give it a try.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
you cna always do the buy peice by peice method, i used that alot, and it was a continual upgrade haha until it crash, and i made the new one with spare parts. go shuttle!

·
12,807 Posts
anubyss said:
AMD chips from what I've been hearing is running faster or at least as fast as Intel chips at a lower cost. I just figured I'd give it a try.
Much faster, especially in comparing the Dual Core chips. The intels are more power hungry too...
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/page24.html

anubyss said:
1200's about right minus the HDD

3800+ ~280
A8n32 ~240
2gb RAM ~225
7800GT ~280
Case ~ 200

I still think you should go for the +4200. It's only like $60 more. If anything, i'd rather 1GB of memory and a faster proc & HDD...

·
11,003 Posts
anubyss said:
That was a very rough estimate with the parts I had looked at about a week ago... My memory might not have served me that well. But, in either case, you're still looking at a very generous $1500 maximum there.

Question: Are you gaming with this rig?

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I don't game that much and definitely not first person shooters. I just want to build one for some experience and I'd rather upgrade parts than buying a new one every two years :).

·
11,003 Posts
In that case, you can probably get away with something less than the 7800GT. With the money saved on that, go with one of the dual core units.

Edit: Don't mind me. THIS looks like a sweet deal!!

I think someone already mentioned -- you can also go with the run-o-the-mill DDR400 ram.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
You know the basics?

GROUND YOURSELF! ESD is a b!tch! :mad:

If you want to have something fun that you'd be able to continually upgrade, I'd strongly recommend reconsidering and going with DDR2 and a cheaper core. That way you don't have a lot invested into the cpu/mobo but will carry forward everything else. Fry's/Outpost typically has cpu/mobo combos. Also use www.pricewatch.com to get a good gauge for pricing (but be careful buying!).

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
ImagePree said:
Did anyone mention the dangers of building a rig yourself??

Let this be a warning: You may NEVER stop upgrading... It's like a disease, kinda like ODL.
I agree. Its like modding a car. :laugh:

I just upgraded my PSU and graphics card a couple weekends ago. I am now looking into mobo/cpu/memory upgrades. :jape:

·
Modding never ends!
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Just looking for something above average. I don't need to have the latest and greatest as that comes at a hefty price. One step below the greatest is fine with me :). I've got most of the parts hammered out. I am just looking for a good place to buy it from. I was originally going to find a good seller on Ebay and see what he can do for me if I ordered everything from him (as well as other parts for my friend). But now I am not so sure and may just get everything from zipzoomfly.com/newegg.com. Any other good sites?

41 - 60 of 70 Posts