Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a buffer. I've been looking into Porter-Cable lately but I'm not too sure which one to go with.

I'm looking for some input from all you experienced car-detailer people or anybody with a buffer.

I'm looking to do some basic polishing/restoration of my paintjob and after the initial restoration, I'd only need it periodically. So I'm not looking for the top of the line product; just something to get the job done.

Thanks for your input!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
If you are new at detailing, I would go for the Porter Cable 7424XP, it's the safest type of polisher to use without the risk of burning your paint.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a buffer. I've been looking into Porter-Cable lately but I'm not too sure which one to go with.

I'm looking for some input from all you experienced car-detailer people or anybody with a buffer.

I'm looking to do some basic polishing/restoration of my paintjob and after the initial restoration, I'd only need it periodically. So I'm not looking for the top of the line product; just something to get the job done.

Thanks for your input!
I have the Griot's Garage 6" random orbital buffer and I love it :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just bought a Griot's Garage 6" random orbital buffer kit on eBay for $100. Only used once. :bigthumb:

Came with two bottles, Griot's Machine Polish 3 and 4.

Just need some pads and some Griot's Best of Show Wax and I'm ready to do the first ever REAL detail job on the prelude yayyyyy!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Autogeek currently has some foam pads on sale buy one get on free. I don't need any more...but I'm a sucker for sales, and you won't do better than $5 apiece. I'll probably end up with a few more pads by the end of the week. lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I love the buy one get one sales too haha, can't beat getting free product thrown at you.

I see the pad's they are offering this sale for are lake country, what color's would be best at replacing the Griot's Orange and Red?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have a bunch of them, all different brands. They all work about the same. The flat lake county pads work just as well as any of the other pads I have, they are just an outgoing design, hence the sale. I think it's best to have at least 2 "course" pads for compounding, 2 "medium" pads for polishing, and 1 or 2 soft pads for wax/sealant if you don't want to do that by hand. If you try to use one of each pad type for the whole car, it will load up and dust all over the place. Not the end of the world, but just creates more work for you after each polishing step.

Of the pads on BOGO on autogeek, if you have no other pads to start with, I'd recommend at least 2 yellow or green (compounding), 2 grey (medium polishing), and 2 blue (fine polish, waxing). $5 is as cheap as you will ever find them, so might as well stock up now. They usually run $10 or more each anywhere you can find them.

Here's the chart for the different colors: Learn how to use the Porter Cable 7424 dual action buffer with CCS Smart Pads by Lake Country. Polish swirl remover car wax polisher wax buffing pad The CCS pads are the same as the ones on BOGO, only with little dimples in them (which functionally make no difference).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts