Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that the Meguires Tire shine (the grape smelling stuff) has turned my new Pilot Sports a not so lovely shade of brown.
Anyone else experience this? I'm gonna guess they're brown forever.... The shine turns them black again, but I'm thinking of it as a chemical dependency

[This message has been edited by EvilDongle (edited April 27, 2001).]

·
Buttering up the muffin
965 Posts
Those tire shine products have silicon in them which is bad for your tires in the long run since it start to crack the sidewalls. Try finding a tire dressing that does not have silicon in it. Also, browning is natural. There's a chemical in tires that inhibits browning. I guess silicon just dehibits it( is that a word
)
Jake

·
Registered
977 Posts
The brown is normal, it is usually from the dirt sticking to the spray. When mine start turning brown, I just scrub them with a small brush and some Comet. The first time the suds will be very brown or black, if you do it again the suds will stay white and when rinsed the tires will be black again.

·
Texas
734 Posts
the browning is normal from the oxidation of the outer layer of rubber

there actually is a new type of rubber that fixes that, but it tacks enough cost onto tire without much perfomance benefit so no tire company has used it yet...

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phamine:
....There's a chemical in tires that inhibits browning. I guess silicon just dehibits it( is that a word
)
Jake
</font>
uninhibits

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I prefer dehibit

------------------
2000 Ficus Green Prelude - Powered by WAAAAAAAAH PPPSSSHSHHH

What stands between a Prelude Driver and an ear to ear grin? About 5500 RPMs!

my next mod:
Larger Picture

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by U.K VTEC:

Originally posted by Phamine:
....There's a chemical in tires that inhibits browning. I guess silicon just dehibits it( is that a word)

uninhibits

</font>
Yeah - and silicone. Silicon is used to make computer chips. Silicone is the goopy stuff used in tire cleaners and caulking.

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

[This message has been edited by ommoran (edited April 29, 2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts