Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, this weekend i started to hear a lot of 'clicking' coming from my front right of the car. it has gotten progressivly worse and now when there is any pressure on the front right part of the car it sounds like your going up a roller coater--click-click-click... my dad said its probably the CV boot, but he said we should replace the whole axle? my question is to you guys, how much did this problem cost u in the end? i need to get myself out of this but im broke as a joke haha. thanks

James

·
one day...
794 Posts
yeah, best to replace the whole axle... be 100% sure thats the problem first, but sounds like its a very good possibility though. An axle is something you can replace yourself if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. You'll have to pull a few suspension pieces apart and make sure you get a socket to fit the hub-nut... (32mm?)

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
"Clicking" from one of the front corners of the car is a primary indicator that a CV joint is on the fritz. Jack the car up and inspect them for cracks or damage (look for lots of grease all over the bottom of the car).

I agree with your pops, replacing the entire axle with a remanufactured unit is usually easier than rebuilding a CV joint. Rebuilding CV joints is a messy, sticky, process that still requires removing the axle from the car, so its actually MORE labor than just swapping axles (although a new axle IS more expensive).

Rebuilt axles can be had from most auto parts stores. Typical cost is about $140 or so. However, you should recieve about $50 or so back when you return your re-buildable core (so your total cost is about $90).

The installation process is realitivley straight forward, although some people struggle with the large axle nuts. With the help of one friend, I swapped mine in less than 45 minutes from start to finish.

·
peace Jape
412 Posts
just buy a new one from autozone, 60 bucks if you give them your old one. why pay more for rebuilt parts?

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
eu4ik said:
just buy a new one from autozone, 60 bucks if you give them your old one. why pay more for rebuilt parts?
I'll overlook the fact that this post is like 6 months old. . .

The ones autozone and pep boys sell ARE REBUILT CORES. Why do you think you have to return your old core to get that price? Because they need a constant influx of used parts to produce more rebuilt ones. They replace the shoulder bearings, repack the joint, use new boots and clamps, and throw on a new axle nut , but the actual shafts and and yoke receptacles are refurbished. Basicly, all the "wear" items are replaced and the parts that rarely fail or become worn are reused. . .essentially creating an axle of OEM specs.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
red92s said:
I'll overlook the fact that this post is like 6 months old. . .

The ones autozone and pep boys sell ARE REBUILT CORES. Why do you think you have to return your old core to get that price? Because they need a constant influx of used parts to produce more rebuilt ones. They replace the shoulder bearings, repack the joint, use new boots and clamps, and throw on a new axle nut , but the actual shafts and and yoke receptacles are refurbished. Basicly, all the "wear" items are replaced and the parts that rarely fail or become worn are reused. . .essentially creating an axle of OEM specs.

Would you say these are just as reliable as getting a brand new axle from say Honda for instance?

·
former luder
719 Posts
Lol, I guess if pioneerprelude replaced his axle in 2003, he should now have a 2-year report. I'm interested to know too. Too bad his last activity was in January '04.

Dan

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
his 'lude must be good since he didn't post up anymore problems or questions..

·
former luder
719 Posts
Umm, right. His Prelude is running great so he just lost interest in it?

·
The Cheeze
1,704 Posts
As far as the difficulty of the CV boot. Its really not that hard. Chris and I did his with a right up and no previous experience. The biggest problem was havin the right tools that make it much easier. Regarding the ticking, Ive just begun to hear that occassionally, ussually after some spirited driving and or a hard turn comin from the right front. Sound like it?

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
lude4lifeh22 said:
As far as the difficulty of the CV boot. Its really not that hard. Chris and I did his with a right up and no previous experience. The biggest problem was havin the right tools that make it much easier. Regarding the ticking, Ive just begun to hear that occassionally, ussually after some spirited driving and or a hard turn comin from the right front. Sound like it?
I agree...

only problem I had was putting that damn clip Honda provides w/ the CV-Boot package.....

·
The Cheeze
1,704 Posts
^Ya, theres a special tool that makes it real easy, but if you dont have it, its a pain the ass.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
heck i would just replace the whole axle........lifetime warrenty from autozone

only problem is ordering one (they never have them in stock)

tip: i bought them thru autozone.com and it got a free b&m shirt and $40 giftcard.....and it shipped to your door, you only have to return the old cores

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
how much is it for a Reman. axle?

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
Its up top... red92s quoted around 140... but you get some of that cash back when you give them back your rebuildable core.

·
The Cheeze
1,704 Posts
petern101 said:
heck i would just replace the whole axle........lifetime warrenty from autozone

only problem is ordering one (they never have them in stock)

tip: i bought them thru autozone.com and it got a free b&m shirt and $40 giftcard.....and it shipped to your door, you only have to return the old cores

Hmm, nice to know. I think I have to replace the whole shaft because I get actual ticking occasionally. Plus my steering wheel vibrates between 70 and 80 mph even after tires were balanced.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
^^^you might want to check your radius rods too

after my tranny replacement we didn't tighten them down all the way and it caused some vibrating

but yeah autozone lifetime warrenty axles rule

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
probably a dumb question but is the shaft and cvjoints within the axle, for instance if I just got a new axle , is the shaft included as well or is that something seperate? also is a half-shaft the same thing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts