Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my crank pulley jumped the alignment key today. Internals are fine. Pulley, key, inner and outer belts are toast. Don't know how it happened, but if anyone has an extra crank pulley OEM or lightweight they wanna get rid of.... let me know

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
the same thing happend to me a few years ago, and the only conclusion I've come up with is "wear and tear." I recommend buying a new OEM crankshaft pulley, KEY, and both belts. I didn't want to run the risk of going through this again with a used one.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
And make sure it is torqued properly. I had a shop botch this exact repair and it cost me. I love the H22A but would have much rather saved the loot and stuck with the original A1. Good luck with the repair and heed TruNinja619's advice... you will be much better off with the job done well; new oem parts.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
That happened to me a couple years ago. The keyway on the crank was damaged and had to remove the crank to have it repaired (spray welded and then machined down). The car had around 64,000Km on it and the crank bolt was never removed prior to this. Cost me way too much to fix. This seems to be way too common a problem with Hondas. I've heard of many Prelude owners with this issue and a buddy of mine who owned an older Accord had the same issue (but he was lucky to have it under warranty). Overall, it seems Honda cheaped out on that bolt, they needed one slightly stronger. Wonder how much it would cost to get a titanium crank bolt.... ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finally got a crank pulley and threw it on tonight. The lude fired right up! Thank got no internal damage and that the motor stayed in time.

·
There's only one....
2,973 Posts
if you wanted to be extra safe, put some lock tite on the first few threads of the crank shaft pulley bolt

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is exactly what my pulley looked like and i did use threadlock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts