Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does ne one know if you NEED to remove the hub to ge the dust shield behind the rotors off? Right now I got the calipers and rotors off getting prettied up. But want to take off the shield and clean that too. But it lookslike the hubs are gonna have to go. I don't really feel like repacking the bearings and trying to get the hub nut off w/o air tools. Well anhelp? Also I got pics of the front w/o the rotors and calipers if I can get it on photopoint.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Nope. You can cut the thin portion with snips or dikes, remove the 2(?) screws and bend it off. If you're careful you can even do it pretty enough to get it back on later.

I don't suggest this as a mod, though. If you drive on the street you will open up your rotors to that much more water and possibility of warping. I also didn't notice a bit of difference in braking. Best mod I can suggest is new pads.

G

·
No, you don't have to remove the hub, but you will have to get an offset screw driver to remove all of the screws. Then use a dremel to cut part of the dust shield off, then pull it off. If you don't want to cut the dust shield, then yes, the hub has to come off.

Hondas have sealed bearings in the hubs, there is no repacking involved. You will need a press though. There is no way to get the hub out of the knuckle without a press. You can't just pull it off (well, if you can, either your bearings are shot, or you're a strong muther....).

The axle nut is also torqued like mad. Torque spec is 181 lb*ft.

If you're doing that just to get to the dust shields, don't bother. If you're going to remove the dust shields, just cut them off.

The rear dust shield are much easier to remove, by the way.

Yeah, I removed all of mine, front and rear, but my car is strictly for track use!

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I agree that removing these permantly is not a good choice. But I have the brakes off now and saw that these can use a fresh coat of paint. SO that's all I really plan on doing. I knew that the hub was more than I could chew that's why I wanted to see if there were any tricks that someone might have thought of. The dremel is a good idea I think i'll go that rout. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts