Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just warped my front rotors for the second time in 2 years. looking to upgrade to different rotors. my goal is to reduce fade/warping of the stock brakes. i'm not to concerned about improving the braking distance. brembo? power slot? will replacing just the fronts throw my brake balace off alot? with these applications, is it required to replace calipers as well, or can they be used with the stock ones? lastly, i'm concerned with excessive squeaking that i've heard from cold big brake race kits.

TIA,
d

------------------
Resist, and you'll be overcome

·
Registered
65 Posts
I might be the only one to say it, but DON'T get powerslot. I got powerslots all around under 6 months ago and I already have bad shaking again. I'm not sure what would be better, but the powerslots didn't seem to last at all.

------------------
Nathan
94 Prelude VTEC

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by natedawg:
I might be the only one to say it, but DON'T get powerslot. I got powerslots all around under 6 months ago and I already have bad shaking again. I'm not sure what would be better, but the powerslots didn't seem to last at all.

</font>
WOW!
did you replace the calipers as well? what type of brake pads are you running? thanks dog.

------------------

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to check back on this post. I'm using AEM brake pads, I didn't upgrade the calipers though. These rotors would last for a while longer, but I brake from over 100, not that much, but enough I guess. Does anyone know of any brake upgrade that won't warp quite so fast.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by natedawg:
Sorry, I forgot to check back on this post. I'm using AEM brake pads, I didn't upgrade the calipers though. These rotors would last for a while longer, but I brake from over 100, not that much, but enough I guess. Does anyone know of any brake upgrade that won't warp quite so fast.</font>
thanks for the info. i ended up ordering a pair of aem front rotors, goodridge g-stop ss lines and porterfield r4s pads front and rear. i can't make up my mind on brake fluid.

------------------

·
Registered
584 Posts
HRC: "i just warped my front rotors for the second time in 2 years."

I have two questions. First, do you use a torque wrench when you put your wheels back on? They should be tightened in a star pattern, to 80 ft-lbs. This helps. My next question is, do you do a lot of hard braking, then park the car. If so this can also cause your rotors to warp. Ive been using a torque wrench on the lug nuts of all the cars ive driven since I was about 17-18 or so, and I havent warped a rotor yet. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nighttime:
HRC: "i just warped my front rotors for the second time in 2 years."

I have two questions. First, do you use a torque wrench when you put your wheels back on? They should be tightened in a star pattern, to 80 ft-lbs. This helps. My next question is, do you do a lot of hard braking, then park the car. If so this can also cause your rotors to warp. Ive been using a torque wrench on the lug nuts of all the cars ive driven since I was about 17-18 or so, and I havent warped a rotor yet. Hope this helps.
</font>
thanks nighttime, yea, everytime my wheels are messed with, it's with a torque wrench in the correct order. i don't do alot of hard braking at all, however, last year a few of us here were on a run and i got on my brakes kinda hard. since then, i've had my rotors turned once. i just learned that once your rotors are warped and you turn them, they will warp again. it was explained as metal memory to me, which explains why it's now happpened again.

d

------------------

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HRC:
...it was explained as metal memory to me, which explains why it's now happpened again.

d

</font>
That doesn't make sense. When you turn the rotors, you remove material. There shouldn't be anything for it to be "remembering." "Memory" usually refers to, say a spring, that has a shape and returns to it when deformed. The rotor had a shape, deformed (warped) for whatever reason, and retains that shape even when you turn it (you just remove some of the material).

Warpage is caused by stress, either pre-existing (when you put them on) or induced. I haven't had a rotor warp yet that wasn't a cheap POS (like Autozone generics) or was abused (washed while hot, ran through a deep puddle). Me? I've got Powerslots up front now, over 7k miles on them, no problem. PBR (Axxis) Metal Master pads.

The PowerSlot problem, provided you aren't running through pedals or spraying water on them, may be the blanks. The shop I got mine from said about 50% use Brembo blanks and the other 50% someone elses. When I got mine, I looked, and sure enough- BREMBO is etched into the edge of the disc.

I've known 2 people to have problems with PowerStops (warpage). That was during break-in, and they were doing it according to Power Stop and Porterfield suggestions. I've got Power Stops on my truck that are warped, but I'm 99% sure it's from all the wet I put the truck through. BTW, if you're going to get a truck, look for a used Trooper. Best $4k I ever spent.

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Even though material is removed, I think the metal retains the grain structure of that of one warped. That's the memory. Even though outer layers are removed, the grain structure and some internal stress risers can still be there. So it is still prone to warping, IMO.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
who's looking for a truck??

------------------

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Ok i searched enough threads what is the REAL! BEST BRAKE setup.
Brembro Fronts / Powerslot in Rear
Brembro Fronts/ bradi Rear
Powerslot Allaround

Where did you guys get yours what about lines help i need a break upgrade ASAP.:eek:

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I don't believe that anyone sells slotted rotors for the rear. The closest that you'll be able to find is blanks. Though I'm guessing that you could get someone to do a custom job on the rears however. I think that Baer offered to do that for me when I was thinking about going all out.

As for going with the blanks, Brembo and Power Slot are the same I believe since Power Slot (or was it Power Stop?) used Brembo cores.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
TimeRacer said:
I don't believe that anyone sells slotted rotors for the rear.
Am I the only one around here with powerslot rears? Or do they just not make them for 5th gens?

-Erik

1 - 20 of 21 Posts