Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Unregistered
Joined
·
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new rotors, bad. I have Brembo blanks, but they have been warped for a few months already and the constant vibration is getting annoying.

Instead of shelling out $110 for a new set of front rotors, can I just buy some from Autozone or Pepboys for $70 a pair?

I'm using Hawk HP+ pads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,673 Posts
Sure you can, but they are probably even crappier than the Brembo blanks you had. No rotors should be warping that soon. Did you torque the wheelnuts in the proper sequence to 80lbs and break in the brakes properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
My Brembo rotors feel great after about 15k miles, I have had bad luck with Aimco rotors that Autozone sells in the past on my Grand Prix.
 

·
Unregistered
Joined
·
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a torque wrench so i sorta just hope i don't overdo them, but I do torque them in the proper sequence.

I think they warped because they maybe have gotten wet a few times. I installed them last August
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
try machining them first. Brembo makes pretty good quality (at least as good as OEM). And it may not be the rotors themselves, alot of things cause vibrations, even just when braking.

The pepboys and autozone ones are made from recycled steel in china... i'm pretty sure they're not the best quality, and won't last too long. Someone once told me they come pre-warped for your convenience. :)
 

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
Joined
·
589 Posts
G_Loc said:
I don't have a torque wrench so i sorta just hope i don't overdo them, but I do torque them in the proper sequence.

I think they warped because they maybe have gotten wet a few times. I installed them last August
G_Loc, you really need to get a torque wrench. With the rotors, its not so much that you over tighten the bolts, its the concern that one bolt might be tighter and looser than the other, which means that there is uneven pressure on the rotor, so when it heats up, it doesn't all expand evenly which causes the rotor to warp.

When even I have had a service my the mechanic, I always drive it home slowly and first thing I do it re-torque the wheel nuts properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
racinghonda said:


G_Loc, you really need to get a torque wrench. With the rotors, its not so much that you over tighten the bolts, its the concern that one bolt might be tighter and looser than the other, which means that there is uneven pressure on the rotor, so when it heats up, it doesn't all expand evenly which causes the rotor to warp.

When even I have had a service my the mechanic, I always drive it home slowly and first thing I do it re-torque the wheel nuts properly.
Agreed, I do the same thing.
 

·
Unregistered
Joined
·
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lightlude said:
try machining them first. Brembo makes pretty good quality (at least as good as OEM). And it may not be the rotors themselves, alot of things cause vibrations, even just when braking.

The pepboys and autozone ones are made from recycled steel in china... i'm pretty sure they're not the best quality, and won't last too long. Someone once told me they come pre-warped for your convenience. :)
i've heard that machining doesn't really help for too long since the metal has already been stressed and will likely return to the warped state.

yea, i gotta buy a torque wrench. i use the impact wrench and i put it on the lowest power. i know i know, thats a no no, but whats the point in doing it by hand if i don't know how much i'm torqueing (sp?) the nuts
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
566 Posts
about the autozone rotors.. yes.. they are pre-warped.. at least by .003 for front and rear..

but that can happend for so many reasons.. even if you buy brand new oem rotors.. i think they should at least be cut .002 on a lathe and a cross hatch pattern should be applyed

i'm on the autozone rotors right now with oem pads.. they work great for me.. no noise.. no vibration.. and no need to spend a fortune on slotted rotors or semi-metalic pads..

in all honesty.. i don't race around town but i do feel brake fade after 10 runs at the strip... but even that.. i can deal with because in real life aplication.. they work just fine..

if you got any question.. aim me at tenzola or pm me

=)

i be more then happy to tell you my experiances
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
G_Loc said:

yea, i gotta buy a torque wrench. i use the impact wrench and i put it on the lowest power. i know i know, thats a no no, but whats the point in doing it by hand if i don't know how much i'm torqueing (sp?) the nuts
I think I would rather put them on by hand than to do it with the impact. I think they would be closer to being the same even torque that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
Another way to deal with this is to have them Brembo blanks surfaced on the car-this is the way they should be done anyway (Honda and most shops agree). My brake specialist is old-fashioned and sets his lathe up based on the runout that he reads-then he cuts and guarantees no vibration. You don't need new rotors unless the existing ones have either been cut or are deeply scored.
 

·
Unregistered
Joined
·
4,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but won't the vibration come back?

mine are noticably warped. when i rotate them by hand, i can see the wavyness by looking at where the rotor meets the pad.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top