Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brake pads were checked out a couple weeks ago and the mechanics said they were about 70% worn (I believe 35% left in the front 30% in the rear). My question is, to all you road racers, will this be enough pad for a full day of road racing (Pocono
)? Or should I go ahead and have a new set put on when I get my SS brake lines installed? 71dsp, I bet you have some imput on this one...

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I used about half (50% front and back) of some OEM Honda pads at VIR Raceway after racing for two days. I recommend getting new ones. Since my brakes were so worn, they got a lot more hot than normal and I had to brake a lot earlier causing me to worry more about braking (or if I would fly off the course) and less about which lines I should take.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
0 Posts
Replace them, especially if you are hard on brakes.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, should I avoid the head ache and just have OEM pads put in? Or is there some pad that's suitable for street use, and dusts the same amount (or less), lasts just as long, and is no harder on the rotors than OEM pads?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Some of your options might be EBC, AEM, or Metalmasters... not sure which is the best for road racing though.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
0 Posts
Almost all aftermarket pads will dust more than stock.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
414 Posts
Jmcn, how many road race events are you going to do a year? If you are finding yourself at the track more often, get an extra set of racing pads like Hawk Blues. Our cars are extremely easy to change the pads on, so learn how to do it so you can use the OEM pads for street and then switch to racing pads when needed. Stay away from Porterfields, they heat up waaaaayyyy too much and wear out very quickly. Stay OEM on the back, these are not as easy to change.

As for your original question, yes. Change the pads. Why take the chance. Oh yeah, Hawks are a lot less money than Porterfields and EBC. Hope this helps.

------------------

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll mainly be autocrossing once a month in the summer...so probably 5 autocrosses a year. I don't want to go through the hastle of changing pads, and I also don't really trust my technical abilities that much to mess with my brakes. What about EBC Green pads? Aren't they supposed to be pretty close to stock in terms of dust?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
'97 Prelude Type-SH

jmcn.com

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99prelude:
now I am hearing good things about Hawk pads...any info? Billy?
</font>
Don't know, I never tried. A couple of years ago, Hawk Blues had a rep for eating multiple rotors before you went through one set of pads!! I have heard good things about Hawk HP+ pads, though.

That comment about Porterfields heating up is accurate. They heat the hell out of the rotor because they are ceramic coated. It reflects all of the heat back into the rotor. It keeps the caliper and fluid cooler, but the rotor gets toasted.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
0 Posts
Oh, one last thing, the Porterfield R4 pads are really good on the track. Very little fade, good stopping power, but they dust like a mother. They are also very good to the rotors. I have a full set, if you're interested!
These are track pads, though. Don't even think about using them on the street.

I thought about trying Hawk Blues out next. I hear really good things about them (besides the rotor appetite), but my car is only for track use, so it's no big deal.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

1 - 12 of 12 Posts