Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Occasionally when I just get driving the console red BRAKE light comes on when I am coming to a stop. It then turns off once I accelerate. I have checked the brake fluid level and it is fine. The parking brake lever switch is also in perfect working order. According to the service manual the only other thing that could turn on the BRAKE light is the ABS control box. Also, this situation only occurs when the cars is first driven in the mornings, after about 30 minutes the light will stop going on and off.

So what does this mean? My brakes are working fine, ABS functions perfectly. This ever happen to anyone else?

·
Banned
245 Posts
I had a problem on my 5th gen Prelude that had characteristics exactly as you described. The problem turned out to be a intermittent brake fluid float sensor thats attached to the brake fluid reservoir cap. I would remove the cap ,push the float up and down a few times, and then screw the cap back on . It seemed to fix the problem for awhile but eventually I bought a new senor/cap from Honda. Another possibility I would consider is a bad wheel speed sensor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Replace the foam float in the brake fluid cap, and check the wires coming out of the top. If the problem persists, you'll need to bleed your brakes.

·
Pimp Member
3,949 Posts
try simply just adding a little more brake fluid

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I had a problem on my 5th gen Prelude that had characteristics exactly as you described. The problem turned out to be a intermittent brake fluid float sensor thats attached to the brake fluid reservoir cap. I would remove the cap ,push the float up and down a few times, and then screw the cap back on . It seemed to fix the problem for awhile but eventually I bought a new senor/cap from Honda. Another possibility I would consider is a bad wheel speed sensor.
how would that turn the brake light on? A bad WSS that would turn the abs light on

·
Registered
20 Posts
the brake light only comes on for three reasons: 1. low on brake fluid 2. parking brake is applied 3. issues with proportioning valve

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
the brake light only comes on for three reasons: 1. low on brake fluid 2. parking brake is applied 3. issues with proportioning valve
You forgot problem with floater.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I have the same "problem" on and off. My brake fluid is not low, and my brakes still work fine when the light is on (still engages ABS when I stand on them) so it's just the float getting stuck, not a legit functional problem with the brakes. Every now and then I'll take off the cap and jiggle the float around, which will make the light go off for a few weeks....but it always comes back. It's not a big deal, just a little annoying.

·
Registered
517 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts