Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of brake fluid do you all use? Is there stuff that is better than others, or is it all the same? And does anyone have SS brake lines? Improvement? Thanks.

------------------
1990 Volvo 740 Turbo/IC
The Swedish Honda

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dot 3, 4 or 5.1. Most brands are good, cuz they meet all the specs.

I heard to avoid Dot 5 cuz of that watever liquid they use......

Depends on how hard you drive and how hard you brake. I would assume the the higher Dot numbers would have a higher boiling point, so if you are not braking real hard, then 5.1 would probably be overkill, and you also have to flush the fluid more often then DOT 3. I personally will go with Dot 4.

As for the SS brake lines, they are not proven to improve stopping distance, but provide a better pedal feel as the metal does not expand as the rubber ones does. If I am not wrong, you also have to change the SS lines every few years.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Avoid fluids with silicon. This is pretty much all DOT 5 fluids.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Goodridge SS brake lines will improve the brakes. I have em on my 5th gen and the pedal is much firmer. As for brake fluid-stick with Honda or equal for street use.

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Most of the firmness that you feel from the SS lines actually comes from you bleeding the brake system when they are installed. I have done a few tests on SS and stock rubber lines, and unless you are really abusing the brakes there is no reason to upgrade to SS lines.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ford DOT 3 High Performance. Ford overengineered the stuff in development. This is the stuff that Performance Friction uses for their Z rated fluid. It's like 3-4 bucks a can. Used this fluid exclusively for the last 5 years in Corvettes at track events with no problems. SS lines also.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Put on Goodridge's and they didn't make a difference. Put on PowerSlots and they didn't make a difference. Axxis Metal Master pads (PBR) *did* make a difference, slight improvement in braking. I use Valvoline Synthetic fluid, reduced fade, improved pedal feel, and doesn't "boil over" (overflow) the reseviour like the Honda fluid did. It's also cheap (at least here in the states).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts