Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to use the stp filters according to NTPOG but I heard they recently changed and the design is like the FRAM or walmart filters .. so I was going t use the BOSCH filter also but I noticed it looks just like the new STP or FRAM filter I dont think it has the oil bypass or whatever its called... has anyone else noticied that also. ... so now Im going to use the PUROLator from pep boys becuase it has the oil spring by pass like the mobil 1 filter etc..

just wanted to let people know.

·
Registered
584 Posts
dchung1 said:
I used to use the stp filters according to NTPOG but I heard they recently changed and the design is like the FRAM or walmart filters .. so I was going t use the BOSCH filter also but I noticed it looks just like the new STP or FRAM filter I dont think it has the oil bypass or whatever its called... has anyone else noticied that also. ... so now Im going to use the PUROLator from pep boys becuase it has the oil spring by pass like the mobil 1 filter etc..

just wanted to let people know.
Ive been using Bosch filters for the last few oil changes, and unless something changed recently, they should be the same internally as the Mobil 1 filter save for the filter media (Mobil 1 uses synthetic media). Are you sure you picked up the right filter, and that the number on the outside of the box matched the filter inside?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im pretty sure.. for honda 2001 model the bosch number is 3312 right? i looked inside and there is no by pass valve/spring.. like the STP used to have.. or like the mobil 1 filter has.. the bosch looks just like the FRAM.. it might be a new filter.. check yours next time.. and see if it has the spring inside.. 3312.. if you do see it then you are still getting the older ones i guess. becuase i just went to autozone and its just like the new STP filters..

let me know if i have the wrong number but im positive thats the right number.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
weird... i've used Bosch filters since the first oil change I gave the car and haven't noticed anything wrong with them... oil change coming soon, so i'll check the next filter for any differences...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I like Purolator PureOne filters, a good value at $6 and I've heard good stuff about the construction.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have the purolator also but i heard they are just in the middle of the filter ratings...and im going to be doing some road racing so ill be driving pretty hard.. so ill prob go with the mobil 1 oversized filter then... but just wanted to let you guys know that i think the new bosch filters dont have the bypass spring in the middle anymore..

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
dchung1 said:
the new bosch filters dont have the bypass spring in the middle anymore..
I can validate your observation. I changed my oil this week and got a bosch filter. I looked inside and there wasn't a spring. I was pissed but I still put it on the car. Damn Mobil 1 filters. They're like 10.99 for one i think.

--Sam

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
maybe they just changed the bypass valve design from utilizing a spring to a spring loaded steel design, but not removed it... all oil filters need a bypass valve

·
Cradle Robber
565 Posts
What's the bypass valve for?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think they're talking about anti-drainback valve. It prevents the oil from leaking out of the filter when the engine is shut down. I believe the bypass valve is on the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I just installed a Bosch oversized filter this weekend. The bypass valve is located on the top of the filter instead of the bottom. And from what I've read and discussed with Champion Lab reps, this is a better design.

For what its worth, the carton said that the filter media was partly made with synthetic fibers.. not all synthetic, but some is better than none.

Guess we'll have to wait til Gerhard does the NTPOG update (if he's even testing the Bosch) for a definetive answer.

·
Unregistered
4,055 Posts
bypass valves are there to prevent oil starvation to the engine should the filtering element ever become so clogged as to block oil flow to the engine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i think i know what you mean about the valve being located on the top of the filter.. but i dont think the bosch 3312 has that either... I think with the top spring one you still can see it right??? its like the mobil one oversized right??? which bosch oversized one are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
dchung1 said:
well i think i know what you mean about the valve being located on the top of the filter.. but i dont think the bosch 3312 has that either... I think with the top spring one you still can see it right??? its like the mobil one oversized right??? which bosch oversized one are you talking about?
Yes, yes, and I'll need to dig up the model number when I get home (it fits a 1988 Mitsubishi Montero btw).

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if this is the same as the mobil 105 then it will be a lot cheaper than than the mobil 105
thanks

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
G_Loc said:
maybe they just changed the bypass valve design from utilizing a spring to a spring loaded steel design, but not removed it... all oil filters need a bypass valve
Actually, not all filters require a by-pass valve. Some engines have them inside the engine itself. Notably some Fords....

Anyway, anyone interested in sending me one of those new Bosch filters??

PM me if so... I can't find them around here.

Gerhard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts