Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first car a week ago, and it happens to be a 97 lude. When I first started driving it had a lot of exhaust, mostly clearish white stuff, so i figured he was lying about it having cats on or something, but after an oil change and a week of driving, its blue tinted and there's a lot more. I googled it and I guess its burning oil, so I checked the oil and it was less than the bottom line on the dipstick. So I topped off with 10w-30 and its still burning hella oil. The thing is, is that it has no exhaust smoke at start up and and then after a quick run around the block the smoke plume is consistent. I'm figuring that it's worn piston rings or something but google says that the pistons are gonna be slapping and there's going to be low compression and low power, but honestly it feels as powerful as people describe it should, granted I haven't driven any others. Does anyone have any idea what else it could be? Or any way to check compression or listen specifically for piston slap or anything? Or check for other stuff to look for first because an engine rebuild is something I really am not financially able to do right now haha.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just bought my first car a week ago, and it happens to be a 97 lude. When I first started driving it had a lot of exhaust, mostly clearish white stuff, so i figured he was lying about it having cats on or something, but after an oil change and a week of driving, its blue tinted and there's a lot more. I googled it and I guess its burning oil, so I checked the oil and it was less than the bottom line on the dipstick. So I topped off with 10w-30 and its still burning hella oil. The thing is, is that it has no exhaust smoke at start up and and then after a quick run around the block the smoke plume is consistent. I'm figuring that it's worn piston rings or something but google says that the pistons are gonna be slapping and there's going to be low compression and low power, but honestly it feels as powerful as people describe it should, granted I haven't driven any others. Does anyone have any idea what else it could be? Or any way to check compression or listen specifically for piston slap or anything? Or check for other stuff to look for first because an engine rebuild is something I really am not financially able to do right now haha.
As a rule of thumb you should always change "All" the fluids when buying a used car, unless you purchased from a well established dealership that provides documentation of all said preventive maintenance being completed. Older hondas tend to burn oil, mostly due to previous lack of preventive maintenance and previous owners running them very hard. Do the oil change with a good brand oil/filter and use the oil weight that the owners manual calls for.(5w30 I believe) Dont bother using synthetic right now because your just trying to see if you can clean her out. Try adding a can of "Restore" oil additive with the oil change, any parts store should have it. Report back after doing the oil change with some driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a rule of thumb you should always change "All" the fluids when buying a used car, unless you purchased from a well established dealership that provides documentation of all said preventive maintenance being completed. Older hondas tend to burn oil, mostly due to previous lack of preventive maintenance and previous owners running them very hard. Do the oil change with a good brand oil/filter and use the oil weight that the owners manual calls for.(5w30 I believe) Dont bother using synthetic right now because your just trying to see if you can clean her out. Try adding a can of "Restore" oil additive with the oil change, any parts store should have it. Report back after doing the oil change with some driving.
Sounds good man I'll let you know when I do it

·
Registered
54 Posts
Compression tests are easy to do. Go grab you a tester gauge at your local auto parts store and bump the cylinders a few times on each one. Should let you know real quick whether your rings are compressing or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts