Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone who races relocated their battery to the rear and what effects, if any, did you notice? In my never ending quest for better handling, this seems like a pretty cheap mod, although time consuming. I would think that getting a carbon fiber hood coupled with a relocated battery would do some good towards equalling the front and rear balance. It would take maybe 80lbs off the very front of the car and move 50 to the very rear of the car depending on the battery. This might be good for what, 1-3% improvement in front/rear weight bias?

Oh well, I'm just curious what are the opinions of the hardcore racers out there. I've done most of the suspension mods possible so I am left with moving weight around and aero pieces to improve handling.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I did not relocate my battery, but I did replace it with a much smaller SLA battery just yesterday. It saved 26lbs in the passenger front corner in front of the wheel. And it's STS/STX legal. :D

BTW, the stock battery and plastic tray it sits in weighs somewhere between 39.5 and 40.0 lbs.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
I did the same thing. I was thinking about getting an Odyssey battery, but my stock one crapped out on me one weekend so I needed a new battery and fast. I checked Autozone's selection and found an S2K battery that weighs in at ~25lbs which saved around 15lbs. It was only $39.99 versus the $89+ for an Odyssey that weighs 15lbs. That's alower cost alternative for you.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I moved the battery to the back, I would also have a lot more room for a cold air box. I would build one with an inlet through the old resonator opening and perhaps another routed directly to the front bumper with drier hose.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
vf1-sh said:
Andrew,

What's an SLA battery?
Sealed Lead Acid. They are sealed, so they do not need to be mounted straight up. They can be sideways, upsidedown, etc. They do not deal particularly well with heat however. They tend to lose charge with high underhood temps. But they do better than a regular automotive (flooded type) battery in freezing temps.

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts