Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know what kinda battery i have, all stickers are gone...but it's aftermarket one.....the light is lit on greenish blue....(not sure if that means good or change?)

i had no probs with it until one day, during winter i was talking with my gf in the car for so long at idle with heat air conditioning on. i turned off engine....then we got cold again so to turn on the conditioning on i tried to turn on my engine, and it didn't

had to get jump cable started. ( i have AEM pulleys)

after that, if i turn on any light or music with engine off for about 5-10mins, the engine struggles or can't be turned on again.

is my battery going bad?
or is it AEM pulleys? anyone else have this prob with aem pulleys?

i have a 97 5th gen.

help me out guys
thanks,
John.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
If you drive normally, pulleys will never cause you any trouble. You are getting somewhere around 20% less power from your alternator with pulleys. As long as your engine is revving 20% above idle, you are making the same power from the alternator as a stock car. The problem is that you were putting a high load on the battery at idle. Your alternator was making 20% less power than a stock one while you were in the car running all the accessories. Your battery was forced to make up that 20% and that's what drained it. Just charge up your battery and try not to idle for a long time.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did charge it up...it's been 4months ago since that happens, but after that, if i turn something on for 5-10mins, without the engine started, my battery don't have enough power to start the car.

what should i do?

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
Replace you battery, yours is worn out.
Batteries dont last forever and your pullies are making the battery cycle more(discharge to charge). You might look into getting an Optima Yellow top, they are specifically made for repeated charge-discharge cycling.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Try lifting one up. No, they aren't light weight, just more powerful. They weigh a ton!

·
Registered
584 Posts
THUNDERCAT98 said:
arent those Optima Yellow's pretty light weight and what not?

I could've sworn they were the super light battery.
Yeah, Ive weighed an Optima Yellow top (in the same size as the factory battery), and a stock battery, and the weight was pretty close (3 lbs, IIRC). I dont recall which was heavier though.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
nighttime said:

Yeah, Ive weighed an Optima Yellow top (in the same size as the factory battery), and a stock battery, and the weight was pretty close (3 lbs, IIRC). I dont recall which was heavier though.

im pretty sure the optima's are..i have the red top and its deff alot heavier than my stock one, but not by much though

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
do the pulleys really pull that much extra power from the battery. I shouldn't have any problems with some pulleys and my stock battery right?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
well it depends on how old your battery is and also if you have a high output system.....:shrug:

me ill probally do this:

get the pullies
get a Yellow Top
try not to bump my system at idle...which i never do anyway...

i know if i put pullies on my car right now the battery would die probally very fast, its weak as is.....:shrug:

·
6,152 Posts
well you should.....emphasis on should....depending on the condition of your batter....

i too have a 00 but my battery is very weak....

time for a yellow top

·
6,152 Posts
i was gonna ask you the same thing...lol

·
6,152 Posts
ahhhhh....i wonder if anyone knows where to get it dirt cheap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts