Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a couple of questions about putting my base MT engine in an SH shell.
-will the mounts line up and be reusable
-will the axles be reusable bc of atts
-are all the hoses in the same spot to reconnect to base engine
-will the base ecu plug into the sh harness
-what has to be removed in the car that has to do with atts that is not in the tranny itself- like extra electrical components if there is any?

Please include anything else that i may need to know about putting the base engine in a SH chassis.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
If you're talking about taking the engine and transmission from a base model and sticking that into an SH shell, you'll just need to bring the half shaft and ECU as well.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Already answered in the thread you made that is the same.

Use base ECU
mounts will work
use base axles
if you're using a SH engine a custom bracket must be made so the half shaft will bolt to the block
remove ATTS control unit and sell it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Already answered in the thread you made that is the same.

Use base ECU
mounts will work
use base axles
if you're using a SH engine a custom bracket must be made so the half shaft will bolt to the block
remove ATTS control unit and sell it
Base axle doesn’t work on driver side, pretty sure you haven’t done this…

I don’t care how old this is.If you have a link that answers what I’m about to say please link it.

If you’re swapping base engine and MT (manual transmission) into an SH chassis continue reading.

The base driver side (right) axle doesn’t work with the base half (intermediate) shaft (half shaft). You need the SH driver side axle connected to the base half shaft. The spline (splines) are not a problem, they fit together no problem. I also measured the shaft clearance based on info from videos from experts focused on any Honda application. With the axle level and poking through the hub (compressed) there should be less than 1/4” exposed.

No one explains this on these popular posts. If you use the base half shaft the SH suspension LCA and subframe connector do not come close to proper fitment because the base axle is too long.

Just to be clear: SH axle is REQUIRED and splines to the base half shaft which avoids the need for suspension mods (for street applications). I’m sure many of you figured this out but did not post it. Most posts indicate “SH and base axle not compatible” which is misleading because it’s true WRT the ATTS but most of us already know that however, the same SH shaft that goes into the ATTS (SH axle) is the exact axle part (due to the shorter axle length) to fit a base half shaft into an SH chassis. Ducking A you would think after 20+ years someone would’ve posted this seemingly minor detail but incredibly annoying obstacle with very little online agreement.

If you did this and had problems please feel free to call me out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was curious about this myself. Im doing the AWD bellhousing on a base engine/trans swap to a SH chassis, but i havent gotten to the axles yet. So I can assume the SH axles will still be used then

1 - 6 of 6 Posts