Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i had a problem back in the past and had the balncer belt replaced. when i started driving the car i realized it vibrated a lot more especially at higher rpms. i have come to the conclusion the belt was installed impropperly. anyways whenever a race comes a long through all gears im worried because im getting so much vibration and it just doesnt feel good. Is this going to harm anything because it doesnt feel normal but some people are saying its not going to hurt anything? what do yall think? Please do not tell me to have it redone because the labor is to much money unless this is seriously going to tear my motor up. if its not a big deal then i will just go along with it until i have to pull the motor apart for cams or such. Please help me out!! later:(

·
Welsh Boy
184 Posts
LudedudeSi said:
Please do not tell me to have it redone because the labor is to much money unless this is seriously going to tear my motor up.
If the balancer shafts are mis-aligned, then I would say you really should set them straight. I can't say whether or not it's going to cause any damage (although I suppose it can't be good); but I know I wouldn't be able to stand driving around with the engine in that state! Honestly, the labour shouldn't be that much, just to set the shafts straight. You just need to slip the belt off the shafts, set them both to TDC (along with the crank/cams, of course), put the belt back on, and voilà: no more vibration!

·
Welsh Boy
184 Posts
Incidentally, if you paid to have this done at a garage, and you're sure they didn't install the balancer belt correctly (that is, with the balancer shafts in the correct positions), then they should have to fix their mistake...?

·
Convicted GSR Rapist
1,512 Posts
First of all, pop the hood and actually look at it. Find out 'how' its not 'right'. They may of left the balacing belt completely off. And btw, it will do almost zero damage to your car (as long as the belt is missing, not 'wobbling'). If, however, its not something obvious, i'd take it back and ***** that they ****ed it up.

Also, dont look at the price of the repair as to how important it is. If something is broken, you should fix it. Period. Rather its $5 or $600. You'll have to fix it eventually, either way. It sucks paying big bucks ... but you didnt buy a 83 accord either :p

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
hmmm, well when i replaced my belt i did it wrong. I didnt line it up correctly. The vibration is actually very bad. After a long string of posts i ended up just removing it and that took care of the problem and possibly gave me a few extra HP. The vibration without it is nothing compared to the vibration with it misaligned. I say pull that crank pulley and remove the belt yourself.

·
Wow! Look at that
427 Posts
Yea the balancer belt is not too hard to take off and put back on. The hardest part is getting the dust covers off.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
You might as well just take it off completely rather than have it on incorrectly. If you take it off completely you will gain some HP and have no more vibration than you probably already have.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i agree taking the belt off yourself is not a hard task. just pull the crank pulley off, then remove the dust cover, then just slip the belt off or go through the procedure to align it correctly. shouldn't take more than an hour.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my mechanic was saying you have to tear down everything to get to it. ive really though about removing it but i remember when it because a big deal and didnt think people came to a conclusion about if it harms the motor without it. The only reason i worry is it rattles the dash in higher rpms bad. when i let the revs drop when i engage the clutch you hear and feel it reving down. its not how it use to be since it was installed. Fill me in on some morei nfo because im either gonna remove it unless it will harm something. later

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
No one can give you a certain answer on that. More vibration is bad for your engine over time. Some engines vibrate more than others and some last longer than others. Removing your balancer belt won't kill your engine in the short term for sure. It might cause you problems after, say, 50k miles however.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
we have gone over this argument many many times. The consensus is that it will Not damage your engine having the belt removed. But since i have been there with the belt being installed incorrectly, i think that that might cause some damage. The rattle is just way too much. Almost as bad as having a bad axel.

Honestly, its actually a pain in the a$$ to remove the belt. Y ou gota remove your accessories, or at least remove the belts. The bolts on the dust cover are evil, they can be very hard to get to and then you still gota remove the most evil Bolt on the whole car to remove the Crank Pulley. So the first thing you need to do is see if you can get that bolt off. if you cant remove that then your gona need tools or some help. I suggest having a shop break that bad boy loose, lube it up and not torque it dont till you get home then it will come off in a snap. then everything else is easy. I say max a few hours to get it done.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesnt it require taking off the valve cover and head? i dont know much about tearing down motors because i always have work done for me. also I plan on getting cam gears soon so would it be any easier to do while those are getting installed?? this is a hard desicion to make. hey sub how is the vibration now without the belt? does it shake your dash at all? thanks...l ater

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
This is a super ghetto way to do it, but can't you just cut the belt and pull it out? Worst case scenario, you would have to rotate the engine a few revolutions.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok just got off the phone with my mechanic. i told him about my problem and he said he would take a look at it. he told me if it was off and it was his fault the labor will be free but if not then i have to pay 125 bucks. does this sound like a fair deal? also im prolly gonna be removing the belt? should i do this? im still kinda worried about the whole longevity thing but this is getting done next week so i have to overcome any fears i have and just do it. what do you guys think??? thanks for all the help. later

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
yea they always do that. Is this the same guy that promromised to fix your idle problem and charged you the money and didnt fix it?? I dont remember if you need to remove the valve cover or not. The dustcover is 2 pieces. You may be able to get the bottom off without the top, but im not really sure about that. Im telling you man, the vibration is nothing, my dash does not shake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts