Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
On the 2nd Prelude
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the symptoms of a bad timing belt? Not a broken one, but one that's due for a changing? Other than visual cues (cracking in the belt and what not) what does it do?

My engine runs rough as of late, sort of sounds like diesel, sort of gurgly. I checked the timing just on the cams, and they still line up correctly. It sounds like it has a little bit of valve tap, but I just adjusted them and I put them .001" below factory specs. power seems good, but the low end has maybe lost a little.

thing is, there is a slight knock at startup. just like one or two knocks, then goes away. only does it on the first start of the day, then never again. I just don't want to pay like $600 for a timing belt just to have it not be the cause.

so what does a stretched timing belt do?

·
Drives a used Dodge
24,594 Posts
I doubt you can try to find symptoms of a bad timing belt besides visual checks. Your rough engine could be many other things, since you say the valves are in order do a compression check to see if you are getting all the cylinders sealed up. How many miles have you had on your timing belt? Could be time to change it, and im sure you can find much better prices than 600 for a timing belt change

·
On the 2nd Prelude
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
97, 94k miles. Idle is at the proper RPM, but rough. Hesitation at random points, like its missing. low on power. Sounds like a diesel engine. Noisy. Compression readings were 215-215-215-225

Recently did a valve adjustment, oil change, new cap and rotor, new plugs, wires.

When the cams are lined up on the TDC marks, the flywheel mark doesn't line up, the pointer points to just outside the little "plus" type mark on the flywheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.