Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this forum was suggested to me as a good place to get some help for a long ignored 1990 si 4WS.
Long story but it's my brothers car, his health has taken a bad turn and I've jumped in to help him deal with a number of things, one of which is this car.
Its been literally buried under boxes, sleeping bags, paper etc etc after it had been stolen, found and returned with the wrong key hammered into the ignition, paint scratched and pride injured. It has 125K on the clock, engine compartment looks pretty clean and it shows half a tank of ancient fuel.
I've put in a new battery and my next task is to clean out the fuel system starting with getting the old fuel out of the tank.

I've tried to siphon it out with a 5' rubber hose about 1" OD and not been able to snake it down far enough to hit the fuel... it stops at about 1.5' and refuses to go any further.
I see the fuel filter up just off center of the cowl and considered opening the supply line there and jumping the fuel pump to let it pump it's self out. I have not attempted that yet.
Any suggestions on how you would empty the tank short of dropping it out?
IMG_1746.JPG

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,084 Posts
I've not personally worked on a 3rd gen, but I assume there is an access plate under the rear seat or in the trunk. I would open that up, then unbolt the top section where the fuel pump drops it, siphon from there.

Jumping the pump would work too, but I'd be afraid of making a giant mess with that amount of pressure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts