Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My axles are in pretty bad shape, and I need to replace both of them. I have been looking at axles from Advanced Auto and such and there are multiple brands offered. Such as GCK, Cardone, and Crown. Does anyone know anything about these brands? I don't have any idea which ones I should go with.

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not looking to get anything special, just want to know if anyone has any experience with any of these brands.

·
former luder
719 Posts
Are you a DIY kind of guy? I bought a remanufactured axle from Napa and the outer joint had lots of resistance. I exchanged it but they couldn't give me one that rolled smoothly. So I bought someone's old stock axles (with lower miles) and replaced the boots myself - before they tore - and I'll be throwing them in shortly. So you could go that route.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I will be changing them myself, just looking for a good axle.

red, thanks for the link, just requested a quote.

·
Sarah is my baby
3,739 Posts
Apparently a lot of the remanufactured units from auto parts stores still may have slightly bent axle shafts, resulting in vibration. Going with a new axle avoids this problem.

·
unworkable
649 Posts
I have gator axles as I'm hoping to go turbo soon. I have them installed already and they've worked great. No issues at all.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
i got a reman axle from autozone for the passenger side, no problem

i am on my 4th on the driver side due to the joints breaking and whatnot. i wish i would have paid the extra $50 to let honda do it :mad:

but yeah, you are taking a gamble in getting imperfect parts from the reman stores, i learned that the hard way

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went ahead and for axles from raxles.com. I got them yesterday and they look really nice. Haven't had time to put them in yet though. Just got my wisdom teeth pulled so I'm not really in a working mood. Hopefully I made a good choice though. Marty at raxles is a nice guy so I don't think I will have and problems getting replacements if I do have problems. Lets just hope it doesn't come to that.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
TooFastForYa said:
I went ahead and for axles from raxles.com. I got them yesterday and they look really nice.
If you don't mind me asking - how much were they?

I got a reman from NAPA a little while back, I think it may be acting up. Haven't checked it out fully, though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were $139 a piece. I'm sure you already know, but they use new outer joints. Also the boots are real good quality, and I like that they use amsoil grease. I can take pics before I install if anyone would like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts