Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ..im just wondering if its possible to make my lude into AWD, just like the JDM model...and if so..is it worth it? i live in nyc and them WRX are getting to cocky when it snows lol.. :argue:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm...well i read a japanese mag that showed 4 models of preludes for 5th generation..the 1st two sucks...the second is the type S and the AWD model..not really sure if its 4ws..well just in case i'll do some surfing later just to make sure..:confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the crazy idea to formulate just how to make my Prelude AWD once. It woud be crazier to do than to transplant an S2000 drivetrain into it and convert it to RWD. A cheaper but still expensive proposition would be to just turbo the car and deal with the torque steer :p

But here is what my notes read as:

option 1: Transplant in the open-diff AWD from the 90-91(92?) Civic Wagon AWD 6-speed. Ditch it's Si motor (SOHC 1.6, 108HP). Adapt AWD transfer caseto accept a 97+ 1.6L DOHC VTEC engine. Build 1.6L and AWD tranny for turbo application. Convert Prelude chassis to AWD.

Option 2: (Much better!)
Use RealTime AWD system from 97+ 5-speed Honda CRV w/ 2.0L long stroke engine. Same AWD modification and conversion as previously stated and build either the 2.0L CRV four-cylinder or adapt a 1.6L DOHC VTEC engine.

Option 3: Use any transverse engine you want, outsource and expensive Getrag AWD transmission, get a good mechanical LSD differential, and fabricate the entire AWD installation from custom built parts at a cost only slightly higher than you would if you used Honda's two AWD systems.

Note: Both Honda AWD systems are Civic based on low horsepower or offroad models. Neither have any LSDs or are built for performance applications. The best transmission you can uses, then, would be Getrag's or maybe Quafie's new one. Again, this is insane money to do and you'd better be skilled at building and servicing everything about cars because you'll be doing all your own R&D.

Working the "bugs" out of such a system could potentially never end.

But all are absolutely silly propositions unless you have at least $30k-$40K to mess around with on a perfectly good FWD.

Addendum:

While I'm on a roll, why not look into Audi A4 drivetrains and Mitsubishi Evo and Eclipse GSX drivetrains. With any amount of time, effort, money and creativity you could put any transverse Turbo-Four + AWD system into the Honda Prelude.

But again, it's nuts. Wait for the Evo or Sti, new(er) A4, or GTR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey ..im just wondering if its possible to make my lude into AWD, just like the JDM model...and if so..is it worth it? i live in nyc and them WRX are getting to cocky when it snows lol.. :argue:
Ok, this post is really old BUT I wonder if one could just swap all the mechanics from 2007 Acura RDX/MDX? Then again it would be great to have the 2009 Acura TL? The only issue I can see with all these swaps is dimensioning which could be costly? Does anyone know where I can get Dimensions from all these vehicles & mechanical components?

Anyway, I am with you on getting an All-wheel Prelude for sure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts