Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share my opinion on the AVS ES100s. I recently took a spin in BoyGuan's car with 215/40/17 ES100s, and I have to completely agree with him. The tires are terrible! Not only are they not sticky, even after some warmup time, but they give no sign of slipping...no audible noise at all, just like my old Paradas. When they slip...they just slip... and it's not a gradual slippage. In my opinion, as well as BoyGuan's, AVS ES100s are terrible tires. I don't care what Tirerack's "consumer rating" says...these tires are not as sticky as their rating says.

So far, we've compared the stock RE92s, Bridgestone S03 and S02, Yoko Parada, and Dunlop SP9000 against the ES100s.

For those of you that think they are good tires, what other tires have you been on to compare them to?

Again, just sharing my opinion on these...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For Dry traction, from first to last: S02, S03, and close behind SP9000. Then the RE92 \ ES100 (tie), Parada. The last three are no where near the first three in dry traction performance.

For Wet traction, from first to last: S03, SP9000, S02. Then ES100, RE92, Parada. Again, the last three are no where near the first three in wet traction performance.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
good to hear some reviews. i was thinking about these tires for later on in the summer. i know my yokahama a520's stick fairly good, but they have been extremely noisy since new.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SuperFleaJQ said:
...For those of you that think they are good tires, what other tires have you been on to compare them to?...
Well, on the 'Lude, only the stock Bridgestones (actually, don't know if they were stock - I think I remember them being RE730's, not sure. But they were Bridgestone Z-rated tires in the stock size, I know that...

But on my 300ZX, first I had General brand low-buck tires (from previous owner), then went to BFGoodrich Comp TA ZRs, then Dunlop SP9000 when I got 17"s for the Z, then finally Kumho Ecsta Supras. On the '95 Z28 I used to have, I had Goodyear GS-Cs...

Not a perfect comparison to a Prelude, but I have rolled on a few sets of hi-performance tires in my time.

The best of all of those would probably be the Goodyear GS-Cs. They also wore down fast, being ready for the scrap heap at 26K miles, when my Z28 got wasted by a semi.

Next up were the Comp TA ZRs. Also fast wearing, they were toast after about 30K miles - I mean, really bad, no tread left.

Next would be the ES100s. I've only had them for a couple weeks, but on the cloverleaf onramps and couple twisty roads I've driven on, they seem plenty sticky and responsive to me.

Dunlop SP9000 next. I didn't care for these too much. They seemed adequately grippy, but they wore down fastest of all, about 22K miles. Also, they were weak, IMO. I bumped a curb with my right front at low speed(at a stop sign, in fact - you know when you cut a right turn a little too close, and/or the curb sticks out a little? That's what I did. Not a hard impact at all), and a few miles town the road, it tore open.

Stockers next, then the Kumhos, and the Generals (which sucked royally, as one would expect). The Kumhos actually have dececnt grip, and they've lasted the longest of all of them (over 40K).

Keep in mind the difference of the tires you're comparing. S-03s and ES100s are not a fair comparison, as one is a "Max Performance" and the other is an "Ultra-High performance" tire, and the prices reflect that.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^ Well, since I was strictly talking about wet and dry performance, and not how long they last, I personally wouldn't agree with your conclusion. Obviously, stickier tires are going to wear down faster (it's an inverse relationship...generally, the stickier a tire is, the hotter the material can get, making it sticky...but wear fast --- and the less sticky the tire is, the less hot the material can get, making it not sticky, but wear slowly).

And while I realize, the S03 is in a completely different performance category, what I'm simply trying to say is that for the price, ES100s are not all they're cracked up to be.

·
Registered
501 Posts
IMO the ES100s are just mid performance tires. You guys are just used too the real performance tires such as the SO2, SO3, and the SP9000s.

For a set of 225/40R18 series ES100s and Parada Spec IIs tires it will cost around $600 but for a set of the SO3s and SP9000 your looking at way over $600 so yeah your really can't compare the RE92s, ES100s and Paradas to the S03s, SP9000s.

If your an avid Yoko fan the ES100s would be a better choice over the Paradas.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SuperFleaJQ said:
^^ Well, since I was strictly talking about wet and dry performance, and not how long they last, I personally wouldn't agree with your conclusion. Obviously, stickier tires are going to wear down faster (it's an inverse relationship...generally, the stickier a tire is, the hotter the material can get, making it sticky...but wear fast --- and the less sticky the tire is, the less hot the material can get, making it not sticky, but wear slowly)...
Yeah, I understand that. I was simply rating the tires that I have experience with in the two categories that usually concern people (including myself) the most - grip, and treadwear. As for wet traction, we don't get a whole lot of rain here in SoCal, so it's not a huge issue for me, and anyway, I try to stay away from performance limits on wet pavement, so I've never really found any tire (that had decent treadlife left) to be flat-out unsatisfactory in the rain.

Sticky tires wear down faster, yes, but it's not a hard and fast rule - i.e., the fastest wearing tire is not necessarily always the stickiest. My Goodyear GS-Cs, for example, were significantly grippier, in my experience, than the Dunlop SP9000s I had, AND they didn't wear as fast (on a better performing car, no less)...

And while I realize, the S03 is in a completely different performance category, what I'm simply trying to say is that for the price, ES100s are not all they're cracked up to be.
For the price? How do you figure? You compare them favorably to other tires in their price class. You said they were better than the Paradas, and tied with or beat the RE92s. You said all three of those fall well behind the performance of the S-02, S-03 and SP9000. Well, they're supposed to, they cost half again as much! Michelin Pilots will undoubtedly kick Yoko ass, too - they better, they cost twice as much! :D

Point is, how to the ES100s compare to other hundred-dollar-or-less tires like the Kumho Ecstas - or Nitto or Sumitomo "ultra-high performance" ( :rolleyes: ) tires that cost roughly the same?

Personally, as far as grip goes, I think the ES100s blow the Kumhos away - but I'll bet the Ecsta Supras last longer! ;)

But hey, you guys are entitled to your opinions...

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
i dunno bout that
the dunlops for 17's are only 100 each
pretty cheap
for the overall user of tires i think the es would be ok but ive yet to compare kuhmo...i would like to try those but just overall with the yoko product line i have yet to feel a good comfort driving on them....they are worse for a hardcore driver than the re92's
they just dont give any signs at all but i have to admit they are better in the rain

·
Registered
973 Posts
i think i will still buy AVS ES 100s since given their price they are still a very good tire and are better than the Kumho 712s and Dunlop FM901s which i was considering. i would never expect a tire that is $40 cheaper per tire to perform as well as the more expensive one.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess my main gripe with the ES100s is that when they give out, they give a lot, and without any warning...to me, it's dangerous, and gives a false sense of gripping ability, since it doesn't make any noise. You will only feel it, and by then it could be too late.

·
Registered
973 Posts
^ i thought i read somewhere that when the tire gives out like that without warning that's due to a stiff sidewall, which for many people is good as long as you know the limits of your car.

·
Retired, sorta
4,968 Posts
ha and i kept preaching my yokos..

i currently have the yoko es100s, and i really liked em compared to stock.. stock tires really pissed me off

i understand your point on how it wont let off a sound when you're close to the limit.. where the stock re92s did.. but i could definately feel that the stock ones would start slippin earlier than the yokos.. however i havne't gotten to the point where the yokos start giving away... i dont have anywhere to really "test" that, and i'm not testing that on the street..

i guess the main reason a lot of ppl said the yokos were so much better could have just been foward acceleration and braking..

maybe their "reviews" were based on whether or not chirping 2nd was easier... because i did feel the difference in foward/reverse traction... i've never taken my car auto-crossing, and since you guys auto-x a lot u have more of a say in this than i do..

but since i DONT track my car, i still think the yokos are a lot better than the stock re92s for city/highway driving... and we shouldn't be operating that close to the limits on the streets anyway

i've never gotten to the point where i can say "my tires suck", because i really think they're better than the stock one..

not just that but re92s cost SOOOoo much more..

*shrug*

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just got my es100's. I was riding on stock rubber before, so these are a world of difference. I really wanted to hold off on buying new tires but it looks like I wont have 17's soon enough and the stock tires were getting really bald and dangerous. Not to mention the NPM is coming up so I needed something decent and cheap :p

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've driven on ES100's, Parada Spec-2's, the stocks, Dunlop GT Qualifiers, and Dunlop SP9000s. I think out of all of them I like the Parada Spec-2's the best, and both Dunlop's were not far behind. The ES100 isn't a "terrible" tire, but just mediocre. They perform decently well and respond alright but the slipping issue i've encountered as well. PSpec2's make more sound than the ES100's ever did especially when takin off. Dunlops did wear fast too.

`knight

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have a set of new 225/40R18 series Yoko AVS ES100s for my 03' Accord V6 Coupe. I haven't mounted the tires and so far I've been reading a lot of good reviews until I read this post. :(

I really don't push my cars to extreme levels so a set of Yokos is good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts