Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok let me say first i did the search and found how to put a base tranny on a sh engine. im a metal fasbricator and have no problems doing this..But see heres the story.
i got a 100K mile sh engine/ tranny for next to nothing awhile back. i dont know alot about preludes and wanted to put it in my civic. Then I noticed this big...box thing on the back where the intermediate shaft should be lol..SO the problems begain as i inform myself.
So i see that I must either use the box with the tranny or use a different tranny. Since Im gonna run a chipped obd1 p28 in my civic, and redo most of the harness, would it hurt to run the atts without the eletronics? i was looking into getting one of the universal stand alone oil coolers/ or a automatic radiator to hook up the 2 hoses to cool the atts box. SO I could just use it as a part of the tranny w/o the eletronics working?
i hope you guys understand my question If not ill explain better.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since Im gonna run a chipped obd1 p28 in my civic, and redo most of the harness, would it hurt to run the atts without the eletronics? i was looking into getting one of the universal stand alone oil coolers/ or a automatic radiator to hook up the 2 hoses to cool the atts box. SO I could just use it as a part of the tranny w/o the eletronics working?
unless you figured out a way to run an engine or transmission with out its electrical componets, no. There are various sensores throughout the car and some that use the obd2 system to funcion, and it wont hurt the atts unit if decided to try your method out.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
ATTS will not run without the ATTS computer. You will basically have dead weight in your civic if you decide to install the SH block and transmission. I'm not even sure how the axles would work either since they are different from the Base model. ATTS is a pain to work period.

For an easier swap in, you should just get a base block and transmission. Less headaches.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thats what Im saying lol..Im stuck here with like 50lbs of dead weight and have no clue if the axles/ diff will work right..
Heres a quote I made in a thread on a different forum to help with what Im trying to figure out

.from looking at the schmatics, and reading up on its function, it seems to me that without energizing any of the solenoid valves, that the box will function in "straight" mode.....energizing one or more of the solenoids controls one of two clutch packs, and can slow, or speed up the drivers side wheel by 15% compared to the passenger side wheel. My only concern is, that for this to work, the transmission is almost certainly has full-time "posi" output to the two axles, and i'm worried that without the clutch packs functioning, will "straight" mode act like a posi-diff and wreck havoc with the axles and tires when turning at low speeds? I know this isn't the most common of questions, but i wanted to present it to the board in hopes someone knows a thing or two about it.

There's really no way to make the unit fully functional on a civic because the ATTS system uses 2 wheel speed sensors, and a steering angle sensor mounted somewhere on the preludes steering colume. It has its own control box with yall, pitch, and "G" meters, and while im sure it would rock if functional, i just dont see a way to retro fit the steering and wheel speed sensors (uses abs sensor signal, this car is non-abs)

The big problem is with this tranny you cant just install a reg half shaft, and to make matters worse, if you swap trannys, a half shaft has no place to bolt to the block and we'd be forced to make a custome bracket as some have, just to hold the half-shaft......so we're forced to use the ATTS box (50 lbs of dead weight basicly) but need to find the best way of doing so.

So when saying not running ther eletronics..i dont mean running NO eletronics just not hooking up the eletronics on the ATTS box.just installing it along with oil cooler.
Any thoughts will be much appreciated..Im thinking a new base trasnny and a retro fab bracket is gonna be my best bet but i would love to use what I have if i could for now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts