Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since you're in law enforcement, it's good to get a first hand advice on the Radar Detector topic.
So, is it worth the money? What model is currently undetectable? Suggestions? Valentine1 ?

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Hmmmm,

I'm not sure I understand the undectable question.

Most stationary radars have gone to using the instant on system, which means if they haven't clocked anyone in a while and you happen along it takes less time for the Officer to get a reading and lock it than you can react to the warning signal when it goes off.

Laser uses a trigger to shoot the beam at the back or front of your car, and once again you have no warning unless you see the Officer shooting the laser, because they usually have to be outside of the vehicle to get a good target. Once the trigger is pulled the beam shoots instantaneously and the speed is locked once the finger trigger is released.

My method of clocking is pacing and NO radar/laser detector can detect this method. You have to check your rear view really closely, you never know who's behind you....

I stop ppl all the time who had a detector and said "I want to see your radar!!!", because their detector didn't go off. Ofcourse I tell them I paced you for however many tenths of a mile. You would be surprised how many ppl don't realize that this is the oldest and most convicting method of clocking. Its hard to beat the fact that they were clocked from behind for half a mile instead of just a fraction of a second.

Our speedometers are calibrated at a speedometer shop in Atlanta for accuracy, and mine shows 0 variance from the actual speed.

The sure way, the cop in me speaking, of not getting caught is not speeding.

As far as radar/laser detectors go I have no recent experience with any so I am unsure on which is the best.

I've heard the Valentine is good, but I have seem them all on the visors, dashboards & windshields of cars I have stopped so apparently they all aren't full proof.

Personally I look for cars that stand out as far as speeding goes, and don't bother with those that are only 10 over, unless there are other circumstances making it unsafe, but don't quote me on this, you might end up driving through a revenue generating town that will write you for 5 over.

I am more concerned with safety issues then someone going a little over. It all depends on the conditions and the manner in which someone is driving.

Oops, I wrote a book.

------------------
Warren

93 Prelude VTEC N/A (lots of mods) [email protected]

00 Honda Accord SE (stock)

[This message has been edited by VeeTec (edited April 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. That's the kind of info I really need. Thanks a lot.. And you have convince me to make my ride looking as simple as possible. No more flashy looks..
And I'll keep my eye on the rear-view mirror as often as possible.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbx:
Yup. That's the kind of info I really need. Thanks a lot.. And you have convince me to make my ride looking as simple as possible. No more flashy looks..
And I'll keep my eye on the rear-view mirror as often as possible.

</font>

When I said stand out I didn't mean looks, I meant ppl who are weaving in and out of traffic, and are obviously being unsafe.

I don't care if its a Ferrari or the family truckster, its the driving I am paying attention too.

I caught a minivan running 100 m.p.h. a few days back, right before they realized I was behind them and did the ole brake hard, you've been caught reaction.

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
So do you take it easy on Preludes? And if you pull over a modified car do you chat with the owner about it?

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com
Please buy my extra ZEX nitrous kit!!!

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
what do you do if you pull over someone you know, like a friend or even your wife?

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Prelude_LC:
If mods are like drugs, then i'm addicted to o0OO0o. He's my hero :D</font>

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
I treat Prelude drivers the same as I would anyone else, which is fairly. But honestly I don't stop that many, guess they seem to be more responsible, or have better observation skills.

If I observe a car that is parked I might I might comment to the owner on how nice it is, but on a traffic stop its not a good idea, gives the impression you stopped them to get a closer look. I just try to keep it the conversation limited to the reason I stopped them. If its not a traffic stop, I will chat just like most other Prelude owners will.

If a girl is cute...lol....please....looks do NOT get them out of what they did. Every now and then you get an attractive girl who will try the *sniff sniff* *pout* approach. They need to save the theatrics for their b/f, I can see right through it. They also try to charm you sometimes, but watch the attitude change when you give them a ticket if what they did was serious enough. They can quickly retract ther statements.

I try to base the stop on the offense, but I will change it to a warning sometimes, even if I intended on writing a citation if they have a good excuse, or there are some other factors, but charm and being good looking aren't a part of that decision.

To the wish I had my Prelude question...YES..there have been many times that ppl have been going so fast I didn't have a chance to catch them, where if I had my Prelude it would have been easy!! Oh well...its not a Police car, the Impala is ok though and adequately fast compared to the average car.

And for the stopping the family or friends comment, thats a tough one. I haven't stopped any for a serious offense, but for minor ones I have just done the chewing out routine. I did stop my wife when she knew I was behind her and kept speeding, but no I didn't write her, I have to live with her, any questions???

I don't write very many tickets as a whole anyway, If I do, the person I stopped REALLY deserved it. I give warnings most of the time for minor offenses, unless its not the first time they have been stopped. Try to give ppl a chance to correct the mistake rather than give them a court date, unless the offense is too serious, like someone who is driving like an idiot, cutting ppl off..etc..etc.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
please move to california, bay area..

my friend just got pulled over for doing 37 on 35.. and was your wife trying to race you? haha..

one last thing, aren't your cops cars all supercharged and stuff? and do they ALL have a video camera mounted now to tape license plates?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I wish all cops were like "VEETEC"

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bronx99:
please move to california, bay area..

my friend just got pulled over for doing 37 on 35.. and was your wife trying to race you? haha..

one last thing, aren't your cops cars all supercharged and stuff? and do they ALL have a video camera mounted now to tape license plates?
</font>
S/C..lol...I wish!! They are police prepared, have oil coolers for running hard a lot, stiffer suspension and other mods for police use, but no s/c.

We are supposed to have very nice, and expensive, Sony in car camera systems installed over the next year or so. They will run about $6K for each car!!

For now I have a camera mount I use to mount my personal Sony TRV 320 Digital Video Camera. I also have a microphone transmitter on my belt, that transmits the audio back to a receiver in the car, thats plugged into the camera so I can capture the audio as well.

37 in a 35!!!!
That rediculous IMO. You have to allow for some speedo error!!

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Oh yeah, my wife pulled along side me last night and started speeding up and slowing down, like she was trying to get me to race.

I just looked over at her and gave the look.

No...I didn't race her!!

I would have won easily anyway.

She is always playing like that when she sees me. BTW before I knew her well, she was always speeing and I was always trying to catch her at it, but she was very good at being observant. I NEVER could catch her, she always saw me before I could clock her!!! Now that we have children she has mellowed...mostly.

·
OG
2,040 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kool-Lude:
VeeTec.. u r one cool dude. I think you are an exceptional example of our law enforcement.
</font>
i couldn't agree more. driving would be a much better experience if we could all cruise at 70 on the freeway and not spend half our time looking in the rear view for a cop who's had a bad day and needs a modded honda to vent on. VeeTec, i commend you for your practical views on keeping us citizens in line.

keep up the great work!

------------------
Raman ~ AIM: R Viper G
Viper's Lair ~ 99 Pearl White SS ~ Mods

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,081 Posts
Of course this is waaay off topic - but what's your feelings on photo radar? The experience I get with them is that it causes so many near misses on our over crowded highways and freeway that it does more harm than good. In our province it doesn't even count as an offense - they just want your 100+ bucks - no points, no nothing. Although I hate to be caught by radar or police speeding, I accept the fact if I did, I would probably feel pretty ****ty about it and would be a lot more careful. On the other hand, if I saw a flash bulb in my mirror, I'd be more pissed off than anything.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
as far as radar detectors go, the best i've seen is the bel vector 95 signature series. It sells for 300 at circuit city but my friend got the employee discount for 220. It is unbelivable, it benchmarks with the valentine one. I drive with it in my car when we take mine out and it will pick up a cop from 2 miles down, around corners etc... it blows the competition of the sub 200 radar detector market (which i used to have) out of the water.

as for instant on. It will pick up a cop doing instant on to another car a mile away. We usually see the 5 KA BAND flash hard a few times, then we pass the cop and it goes again.

I highly reccomend spending the extra money and getting this one. I'd go with the V1 for the # of signals and directions but its a tad pricey.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VeeTec:

37 in a 35!!!!
That rediculous IMO. You have to allow for some speedo error!!

</font>

yea.. tell me about it. my friend will be going to court.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts