Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
71dsp,

Remember when you told me it would be awesome if you could flatten the prelude's torque curve out? Is there any way to get a prelude motor to make peak power out at 8k rpm or so? I was just looking at the torque curve on a jdm b16, and it was really flat. Why is it that a prelude motor's curve falls off? Is it because the stroke is too long? My older bro who has a b16 in his integra said something about rod ratios, but I didn't really know what he was talking about. Can you enlighten me?

G

·
Rod ratio could have something to do with it, as could breathing, cam timing, exhaust, etc. there are too many factors to say what could be it.

I will have a better answer for you after we get my engine back together and see what kind of curves the engine lays down.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
i was just thinking about this... take a look at this stock h22 and stock jdm spec-r b16 :

from 2500 to redline, it ranges from 14.1 to 16.2 kg/m (102 lb/ft to 117 lb/ft)
and this stock h22a :

from 2500 to 7000, it ranges from 125 to 140 lb/ft, and then between 7000 and 7600 it drops to 100 lb/ft! the h22a torque curve is actually significantly flatter than the b16 until you hit 7000... but then it really drops off.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the H22's torque starts to drop off just after 5000 rpm, while the b16 starts dropping off at close to 8000 rpm. The b16's torque actually goes up after the curves cross, while the H22's torque starts going down at the crossing.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
a). That's a JDM B16, with some headwork done by hand.
b). The B16 is also running way more aggressive cams than USDM B16s, nevermind H22s.
c). The B16 dyno is an engine dyno, while the H22 is done on a chassis dyno. I don't know if there is a difference, but...

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts