Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the link to the old plugs pics. Both pics have the plugs in order from left right by cylinder (#1 on left). 1 and 3 look fine, but 2 and 4 look really corroded... why? I don't know.. I was hoping you could tell me. I didn't see any oil on the end of them, just the normal carbon build up. So without further ado.. here's the link:

http://thatchmaster.tripod.com/oldplugs/

Here's the new wires:

http://downloads.members.tripod.com/thatchmaster/ngkplugsandwires/ngkwires.jpg

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I wouldn't sweat that- they actually look like a bad batch, like the plating wasn't on the 2 ugly plugs.

You should be more concerned about the electrodes- they look nasty, but they all look nasty (that's good, er, I mean, bad). You want them to all look the same, but I'd recommend changing them a little more often!

Running my car in VTEC and racing makes my plugs, cap, and rotor look at 10k miles like a car with 30k miles on it (or more). I'd recommend for "spirited" driving a 15k tuneup. Sounds excessive, but it's probably worth 5HP to you if you don't.

G

·
Your link doesn't work for me, for some reason. I would go with what Todd said, though.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Your link doesn't work for me, for some reason. I would go with what Todd said, though.

</font>
Thanks for the vote of confidence : ) For those that can't see them, the plug body (metal part with the threads) is corroded something aweful- like a piece of zinc-coated steel left out to rust for a few months (actually, like my trailer hardware). The other two look fine. Never seen it before, but it could have been a combo of poor plating in manufacturing and exposure to water.

thatchmaster, were those spark boots on tight?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Oh, and thatchmaster, check your HTML. When I hit that link, I get the raw HTML (not a page)- I think you're missing a tag in there somewhere. I foudn the links of the pics, though, halfway down.

Or was that the way it was intended to look?

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marcucci -- Yeah, the boots were on tight. Here's the direct link to the pics, sorry, that link was for the directory..

http://thatchmaster.tripod.com/oldplugs/4.26.01oldplugs.jpg

http://thatchmaster.tripod.com/oldplugs/4.26.01oldplugs2.jpg

Thanks for the input guys!

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
...the plug body (metal part with the threads) is corroded something aweful- like a piece of zinc-coated steel left out to rust for a few months (actually, like my trailer hardware). The other two look fine. Never seen it before, but it could have been a combo of poor plating in manufacturing and exposure to water.

thatchmaster, were those spark boots on tight?
</font>
I just found it odd that 1 and 3 were ok, and 2 and 4 were nasty. I figured there had to be a reason, but if it's coincidence.. then.. it's coincidence. Firing order? Would that have anything to do with it? What is the order, 1,3,2,4? I'm at work and Mr Helm is in my car.. I'll look in the engine bay later.. I know it's on there.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing.. I think the last time the plugs were changed (or out even) was at the 45k service. I bought the car with 50k on it. I'd have to go back and look at the records from the previous owner.

The lude has 82k on it right now. And I've had it for a year and a half. So those plugs were on there for probably almost 2 years, and 40k.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:
One more thing.. I think the last time the plugs were changed (or out even) was at the 45k service. I bought the car with 50k on it. I'd have to go back and look at the records from the previous owner.

The lude has 82k on it right now. And I've had it for a year and a half. So those plugs were on there for probably almost 2 years, and 40k.

-Erik

</font>
That's too long, unless you putz around. I'd go for a 15k service unless you just take it easy.

I don't think it was concidence, I think there was something wrong with the plugs. I can't think of anything, though, that the engine or anything else could do to cause that- it's corrosion, plain and simple. Maybe if they weren't tightened all the way, but you pdobably would have blown the plug wire off.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
That's too long, </font>
Yeah, I know. I'm finally starting to give the car the tune up that it really needs.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">unless you putz around. I'd go for a 15k service unless you just take it easy. </font>
Well, I think I'll deifinitely be at least checking them more often. And Billy's idea of changing the plugs, cap and rotor every 10k wasn't a bad one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I don't think it was concidence, I think there was something wrong with the plugs. I can't think of anything, though, that the engine or anything else could do to cause that- it's corrosion, plain and simple. Maybe if they weren't tightened all the way, but you pdobably would have blown the plug wire off.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2.
</font>
Thanks for the info dude. The plugs were in there nice'n snug. I'll just have to keep an eye on them, and see if 2 and 4 get funky.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

www.thatchland.com

[This message has been edited by thatchmaster (edited April 26, 2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.