Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I didn't know the clutch fluid could turn that dirty. I'm talking mudlike, just dirt, nothing like clean brake fluid.

Anyway, thanks to all those that helped with instructions, esp Billy.

Billy, got some q's for you.

1.When I released the bleeder valve with the clutch depressed, the spring on the slave will automatically depress too. This seems normal, as pressure escapes from the slave/clutch system. Normal? So basically, I'd have to manually jerk the clutch pedal back up and start pumping again b4 I released the valve again. It was kinda freaky, seeing the cluth pedal stuck like that one the floor.

2.Is it suppose to take that many repetitions to take so lil out? I mean, I need to do this again in order to take some more fluids out. cuz when i stopped, the fluid that was coming out was still dirty.


For those of you that wanna attempt this at home, be ready for a lot of pumping of the clutch and repetitive motion(Unless something is wrong w/ my clutch system). I had to do the pump clutch/release valve process about 7x and all I got out was about 3oz., if that much.

I wanted to keep going but my dad(who was holding down the clutch) had to go to bed.

But man..the crap taht came out..so dirty.




------------------
kimchi cures cancer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
327 Posts
What fluid exactly were you using to bleed the system?

Daniel

grnlude97
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grnlude97:
What fluid exactly were you using to bleed the system?

Daniel

grnlude97
</font>
you use brake fluid, dot 3 or 4 to replace whatever you bled. But I barely bled like 2-3oz.



------------------
kimchi cures cancer
 
G

·
Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
1.When I released the bleeder valve with the clutch depressed, the spring on the slave will automatically depress too. This seems normal, as pressure escapes from the slave/clutch system. Normal? So basically, I'd have to manually jerk the clutch pedal back up and start pumping again b4 I released the valve again. It was kinda freaky, seeing the cluth pedal stuck like that one the floor.

I told you the pedal would go to the floor when you opened the bleed valve. That's normal.

2.Is it suppose to take that many repetitions to take so lil out? I mean, I need to do this again in order to take some more fluids out. cuz when i stopped, the fluid that was coming out was still dirty.

I don't remember how much I was able to bleed out when I did it. It was way more than 3 fl. oz, though.


------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
997 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
1.When I released the bleeder valve with the clutch depressed, the spring on the slave will automatically depress too. This seems normal, as pressure escapes from the slave/clutch system. Normal? So basically, I'd have to manually jerk the clutch pedal back up and start pumping again b4 I released the valve again. It was kinda freaky, seeing the cluth pedal stuck like that one the floor.

I told you the pedal would go to the floor when you opened the bleed valve. That's normal.

2.Is it suppose to take that many repetitions to take so lil out? I mean, I need to do this again in order to take some more fluids out. cuz when i stopped, the fluid that was coming out was still dirty.

I don't remember how much I was able to bleed out when I did it. It was way more than 3 fl. oz, though.


</font>

Doesn't sound normal.


------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims. Used for 2k miles. 600+shipping.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:

Doesn't sound normal.
</font>
It's normal depending on how you do it. If you bleed until you're almost out (or completely drain the fluid, then fill/bleed it) it will take far less fluid. If you pump it a few times and only get out a little, then fill it, you're mixing a higher ratio of old-to-new fluid and it will take longer. My suggestion? Open the bleeder and get all the fluid out, then fill it. Since there's only one bleeder and so little line and fluid, it doesn't take long to bleed the air out.

This isn't adviseable for brakes b/c of the antilock pump, longer lines, and larger reseviour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99prelude:
what kind of fluid should we use? honda?

</font>
i heard for brake/clutch fluids, there are better ones out there besides honda, and i've heard good things about valvoline synpower and the one Castrol makes. it's called gtm or something.



------------------
kimchi cures cancer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I did mine three months ago and I did exactly what marcucci said to do. It is alot faster let it all out then put the new fluid in instead of mixing it.

I used valvoline when I bled my clutch.

johnsoncranium- I was suprised at how dirty my fluid was to when I bled it.



------------------
'95 Prelude SE
Thermal R&D Exhaust
DC Sports DAC intake
DC Sports Ceramic Header
Neuspeed Polished Strut Brace
Altezzas
More when I can afford it!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
It's normal depending on how you do it. If you bleed until you're almost out (or completely drain the fluid, then fill/bleed it) it will take far less fluid. If you pump it a few times and only get out a little, then fill it, you're mixing a higher ratio of old-to-new fluid and it will take longer. My suggestion? Open the bleeder and get all the fluid out, then fill it. Since there's only one bleeder and so little line and fluid, it doesn't take long to bleed the air out.

This isn't adviseable for brakes b/c of the antilock pump, longer lines, and larger reseviour.
</font>
so how exactly do you go about bleeding the air out after completely draining the system? I just did a complete drain and refilled the reservoir, but now my clutch pedal still sticks to the floor when i push it down?
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top