Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night after a nite of chillin with the boys at some car hot spots, some freinds and myself went and chilled. We all parked our cars and were conversating when someone asked to see my engine bay, so I popped my hood! We were looking and then a noise like vacum or pressure releasing came from the engine bay?? My two freinds for the first time said, yes they have heard that noise also form there engine bays??? It did it 3 times??? I did not drive my car hard at all last nite either,only vtecing once for a splite second in 2nd gear?? What is that noise or have any of u ever heard it??? Post em up! Peace!

------------------
IM- Smit962
'01' Satin Silver Metalic
AEM CAI
DC CC 4-2-1
Greddy EVO
AEM PULLEYS
SKUNK 2 cam gears
Ground Control 400/300
Tockico Blues
OEM KIT
DC REAR LOWER
SPOON FRONT UPPER
Member- MICREW.NET

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Was your engine off at the time?
What was the duration of the noise? Did sound like a "waaa?" (sorry...but how else can you describe sounds????)

I get a sound that lasts like 2 seconds every time I turn off my car and I'm sitting inside the car, and I only hear it if its REAL quiet. I remember discussing it on another board, and i think it was the fan or something.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sound is hard to descibe, it really sounds like a small electrical motor turning on and spinning, it lasted like 5 to 10 seconds each. The noise sounds like it is coming from underneath the intake manifold, or in the back area of the engine bay. It only happening like 5 mins after the car was off, everything in the car off too!

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
THANK YOU!!! I mentioned this before but the topic dropped like a rock in water. I get that noise when I drop the hood sometimes. Once it happened when the passenger door was being shut. It's kinda the same noise as the ABS when you first start the car right? Doesn't last too long? Like 2 or 3 seconds?

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
It's kinda the same noise as the ABS when you first start the car right? Doesn't last too long? Like 2 or 3 seconds?
</font>
THATS THE SOUND!! Yes, its about as close to the ABS initializing as you can get. But mine doesn't happen when i shut the hood or close the door, it just happens. And it happens a couple times too, i remember counting it ~5 times.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
THATS THE SOUND!! Yes, its about as close to the ABS initializing as you can get. But mine doesn't happen when i shut the hood or close the door, it just happens. And it happens a couple times too, i remember counting it ~5 times. </font>
Damn mine just does it once. It hasn't happened in a long time though. I think the best we can do is leave the hood open and have someone try to figure out where it's coming from. I also thought of this:

1. Open the hood.
  2. Get someone else to get in the driver's seat and turn the key to the second position.
  3. YOU push the car backwards and listen for the ABS noise
  4. See if it sounds the SAME as what you heard before
    [/list=a]

After this try to decide if it's the same thing. The reason why I say YOU have to be outside the car is that you know what the ABS sounds like when you're IN the car. You might not realize it's the same noise when you're outside the car (assuming this is the same noise). I have yet to try this. And I'm too tired to try now.

------------------
    AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 15, 2001).]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine did that too. But it was after a hard break from roughly 60mph-0 in a very short distance..

other than that once... I havn't heard of it... I was thinking, could it be the fan? or some thing near the water pump?

I'm not sure, but my dad's BMW had that noise b4, and we took it in for repair. The BMW guys said the water pump and one of this metal plate behind the engine was both damaged. After we replaced them with new ones, the noise was gone.

But I doubt this noise in our lude is the same tho.. cuz since a lot of people have them... It could be just the way that it is designed... wutever that is...

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car had been turned off completely for like 5 to 10 mins and then I unlocked my doors and popped the hood and then propped the hood up and then like a couple mins lata the noise occured, then it did it agin like 2 mins after that,then once more. JOON525 u are right it sounds like the ABS sound but not as loud and when my did it it comes form the rear of the engine bay not up front left where te ABS is?? Crazy! 99PRELUDE and DYI01 said there cars have done it before too???

·
Registered
420 Posts
Guys..

I've heard this also..
IT could be three things.

Fuel Pump Bleeding
ABS Unit
Flapper Valve Opening on Intake Manifold (during Start-Up)

my 2 cents.

vnt

------------------
1997 Prelude (Non-Sh) Eucalyptus Green
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
It's the relief valve/pump for the tank. When the pressure reaches a certain point it vents air from the tank through the charcoal cannister. It's annoying as hell but it's normal.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vntperformance:
Guys..

I've heard this also..
Flapper Valve Opening on Intake Manifold (during Start-Up)

</font>
What about it closing as well after the cars been off for a few minutes? Maybe the vacuum is bleeding off after the car is off and it let's the valve close again.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
What about it closing as well after the cars been off for a few minutes? Maybe the vacuum is bleeding off after the car is off and it let's the valve close again.</font>
Again, if it's when the car is OFF it's the relief valve & pump, located near the charcoal cannister behind the intake manifold and below the cruise actuator. The ABS pump and intake flapper don't do anything when the car is off.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
It's the relief valve/pump for the tank. When the pressure reaches a certain point it vents air from the tank through the charcoal cannister. It's annoying as hell but it's normal. </font>
I think Todd's got it guys...don't know why i didn't even think of it myself. If you wanna confirm it, go turn on your car and set it to Accessory II, you'll here the pump pressurizing...and its the same sound it makes when the car's off. Todd, how did you come to this conclusion?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
I think Todd's got it guys...don't know why i didn't even think of it myself. If you wanna confirm it, go turn on your car and set it to Accessory II, you'll here the pump pressurizing...and its the same sound it makes when the car's off. Todd, how did you come to this conclusion?</font>
It's not the fuel pump that's pressurizing, it's a different one. I'd have to look at the manual again, I'm not sure it's even a pump (I think it might be just a relief valve). The noise you hear is likely the fuel vapor cavitating in the valve and line.

I was annoyed enough by the noise that I watched it. I think it recurred ever 2 minutes or so after shutting down for a period of several hours (I didn't watch it that long, maybe 10 or 15 minutes, but I've noticed it does it at least that long after shutting down). I felt around where the noise was and identified the part. It was connected to the fuel vent lines and the cannister. I then went through the Helms and figured out what the part name was and function- it's intended to vent pressure from the tank through the charcoal cannister and then (I think) into the atmosphere.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Never heard this b4.
J

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep I think he deos have it the noise comes from the back of the engine bay like underneath the Intake Manifold! And like others say u only nitice it if the hood is open! Its cool that we all know what it is now! Never thought it was anything bad anyway! Thanks

------------------
IM- Smit962
'01' Satin Silver Metalic
AEM CAI
DC CC 4-2-1
Greddy EVO
AEM PULLEYS
SKUNK 2 cam gears
Ground Control 400/300
Tockico Blues
OEM KIT
DC REAR LOWER
SPOON FRONT UPPER
Member- MICREW.NET

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.