Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Well, it looks like I may have a quaife sometime this year and when I do I will need to get out of STS and goto DSP. When I do I will want to get some Compitition tires. To all of those who have some on your stock sized rims, what did you get and what size fit on them and worked well for you. Thanks.

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
I can't stress enough, ditch the stock rims. I ran my stock rims for almost 3 years and after one race with 15x7 Koseis I see the error of my ways. The combination of the smaller diameter, wider rim, and wider offset made the car perform SO MUCH better.

My thinking:

- smaller rolling diamter with 225/50 tire makes for more acceleration. Top end is compromised but when do you want to hit 140mph?

- wider rim improves contact patch width of 225 by flattening it. A 225 on the 6.5 stock rim is possible, but bows the patch to where it isn't very effective. You could run a 205 on the stock wheel but will be stuck with a 55 profile which will decrease acceleration over stock.

- wider offset speaks for itself. Wider track improves handling.

You pretty much have the choice of 225/50 or 205/55 on the stock rim in the Kumho, BFG, Toyo and Yoko. The Kumhos are the cheapest and perform comparable to the BFG. I'd suggest them. I'm pretty sure all these guys make the 225 but not so sure about the 205.

I SERIOUSLY recommend getting a 15x7 and then a 225 wide tire. If you want a set of base wheels for racing, email me, I have a set I'm trying to sell (that should speak for something- I'm trying to sell a set of wheels and just talked you out of buying them).

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I really have been thinking of getting a set of 15's for autoxing but I dont know if I have the money for the extra set of rims and then tires too, some serious $$, thats why I am asking for the stock sized. But then again, if you could recomend some good rims and tires, I would love to give them some consideration!
Thats the whole thing again, I know that the smaller is better and everything, but it all comes down to the all mighty $ and with $2.00 gas prices...ahhhhhh

------------------
'98 Red Base Prelude
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Kosei K1's, 15x7, and Kumho Victoracer V700's in 225/50-15 flavor. The best performance for the money you will find.

Barring that, 225/50-16 or 205/55-16 Kumho or Toyo Proxes for the stock wheels, though you WILL rub if you are lowered.

The 15" rims will pay for themselves after about 10 sets of tires, they are $10 cheaper per tire than the 16's.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Since, I'm in G-stock, I'm stuck with the stock sized rims. I run 225-50-16 Kumho V700's. Even though I'm at stock ride height, they rub a bit on the inside of the front fenderwells.

Your choices for 16" R-tires are pretty limited: Kumho, Hoosier autox or roadrace tires ($$$), Yoko A032R (last long, but not as grippy), BFG G-force R-1's (no longer in production, so you're stuck with whatever is left in stock), Toyo RA1 (lasts really long, but not that grippy). Of all those, your best bet is the Kumho. They're pretty sticky and they last a long time (I get 60-90 runs on a set). The Hoosiers are probably the best tire out there, but they're just too expensive to run on a regular basis.

Another thing to consider is the type of surfaces you run on. The Kumhos work well on concrete and asphalt. Hoosiers are the best tire for concrete, but wear really poorly with some asphalt surfaces.

Since you're in a class which allows you to run just about any size wheel, you really should take advantage of it. As marcucci said, go with the 15x7 225/50/15.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did ya go to get some 15x7? I tried tirerack and discounttiredirect and they only go down to 16 for the 5th gen Lude...

------------------
'98 Red Base Prelude

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
To add to what Pork Chop said, though he is correct that the BFG g-force R1's are discontinued, they ARE, however, being replaced by the g-force T/A R1's, which (according to the TireRack representative) grip MUCH better than the Yoko A032R (I only asked for a comparison between these two tires) but doesn't last as long.

Personally, I will be running these new BFG's on stock rims for autoxing once Marcucci sends his coilovers to me. The 205/55/16 tire does not like lowered cars very much (I mean > 1.25") or low spring rates, so I need some sort of adjustability.

You also have the choice of a 205/45/16 Hoosiers on stock rims, but I've heard from 71dsp that these don't last very long, and require at least 2-3º of camber, something I doubt most of us have set for our cars. But they won't rub on any suspension and HOosiers are famous for their grip.

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

·
Registered
945 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Luder:
Where did ya go to get some 15x7? I tried tirerack and discounttiredirect and they only go down to 16 for the 5th gen Lude...

</font>
Tirerack will not sell you 15" wheels for a 5G Prelude. You have to tell them you have a Type R. Get the 45mm offset Kosei K-1 15x7 and you will love them.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pork Chop:
iranman:

From what I've read in SportsCar, BFG is discontinuing production of all their R-tires. I'm not aware of any "new" R1 that BFG is planning to produce.

I checked Tirerack.com and they still sell the T/A G-force R1, but they're heavily discounted.

Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bfg/bf_gforce.jsp
</font>
Hmm...that's interesting, because in the link you provided, tirerack mentions the 'new' g-Force T/A R1 "will eventually replace the previous Comp T/A R1 230." Never mentioned anything about the current one. Oh well, I guess the one's I bought were just lying around... *shrug*

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DR:
Tirerack will not sell you 15" wheels for a 5G Prelude. You have to tell them you have a Type R. Get the 45mm offset Kosei K-1 15x7 and you will love them. </font>
Thanks for the tip DR

------------------
'98 Red Base Prelude

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iranman:
Hmm...that's interesting, because in the link you provided, tirerack mentions the 'new' g-Force T/A R1 "will eventually replace the previous Comp T/A R1 230." Never mentioned anything about the current one. Oh well, I guess the one's I bought were just lying around... *shrug*</font>
I guess the website isn't really up to date. The Comp T/A R1 230 was actually a decent tire (a bit tricky to drive, but very sticky on concrete). For some off reason, they decided to replace it with the g-force T/A R1, which was an inferior tire. So, the website is accurate that the "g-Force T/A R1 will eventually replace the previous Comp T/A R1 230", but this is old news. What the fail to mention is that they're both no longer in production.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts